News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

cheese chain

Started by sunny, April 06, 2005, 10:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunny

After only 2700 miles my drive chain is just about ran out of adjustment! :x I maintain the chain religously, cleaning and lubing after most rides. WTF!

Badger

My 04 has 9,500 miles on the original chain and hardly ever needs adjusting despite getting a severe spanking regularly. Thankyou Scottoiler.  :D
Growing Old Disgracefully

ChrisN

Quote from: "sunny"After only 2700 miles my drive chain is just about ran out of adjustment! :x I maintain the chain religously, cleaning and lubing after most rides. WTF!

Is that from new ! ?  If so, something is very wrong. You really shouldn't need to adjust it at all within 2700miles. Check with your dealer. Or did you miss a zero off your post?

I can second Badger on the Scottoiler claim. 10k plus, and still no need to adjust.
Chris

modre

are you sure you haven't been keeping it too tight? There should be (guessing) 1/2"-3/4" (13-19mm) deflection in that span so it doesn't prematurely wear the sprockets. Check the teeth recesses in the sprockets for wear. That chain (if it's an O-ring)/sprocket set should last 20-25K and be replaced as a set. Worn chain on new sprockets and new sprockets with old chain is shooting yourself in the foot.

also, what have you been cleaning it with? Degreasing solvent (or water spray) is not good, because it penetrates and compromises the lube off critical bearing surfaces. best to leave it alone (just externally wipe it with a cloth or clean it with high pressure air) and keep it greased only I think. Keep the degreasers, penetrating oils, and high pressure water away from it. Chain is super-hard and shouldn't show squat wear at 2-3K unless you're just running the shit out of it. I guess it's possible it's bad materials, but I would lean towards another cause before I comdemn the parts.

I personally think the clean/image thing is overdone...machinery works/lasts best in a full grease/oil environment where oxygen and water is kept away from metal.

also check the swing arm bearings for slop that's giving you a false reading. or the chain tensioner shoe if it's got one...and make sure the sprocket bolts are tight and transmission output shaft spline isn't worn.

that said, a stretched chain will give you an odd pulse feel as the weakest worn part is subject to the load long before it breaks completely. My instinct and intuition points at cleaning method or chronicly run too tight...secondly a worn or loose part separate from the chain...2700 miles is nothing in the expected life.

Dick Boyer

Something is wrong for sure. Mine has 20,000kms/13,000mi on it and is still good for another 20k. Alot of that is gravel roads too. The Triumph manuel has the wrong info on adjustment, even my dealer admitted that. It should be looser than they suggest. I also replace my front sprocket every 17,000k as it causes most of the wear. Also reverse it every 9000k or so. Doing this religiously, you could possibly keep the stock chain 40000k. A new front sprocket is only $29. for a PBI. A chain oiler helps too although mine doesn't work great. I use WD40 on it after every ride.

Sasquatch

Please allow me to add to this debate.  I consider myself somewhat knowledgeable  about chain issues as a long time off road racer who couldnt afford to replace chains each event.

First, even though the chain used by Triumph is a DID, it is the cheapest chain they can get.  Same with most manufacturers.  But that does not explain 2700 miles.  My chain is now due for replacement and I have 12k on my Tiger, I weigh close to 400lbs, and I ride off road at least 50% of the time.

I am going to assume that your chain has been running too tight.  I see countless bikes running their chains too tight.  It is much better to error on the side of too loose with chains.  

Now, to find out how much slack you should have, get yourself a ratchiting tie down.  Attach the tie down to the rear of the swing arm and up to some place on the back of the bike.  Crank down the rear of the bike untill you can draw an imaginary line from the center of your countershaft sprocket, through your swing arm pivot bolt, to the center of your rear axle.  At this point your chain is the tightest of anywhere in your suspension stroke.

Now, adjust the chain untill you have about 1/2" slack.  You should be able to move the chain freely, but just a little bit.  This will insure that your chain never binds throughout the suspension stroke.

Now, release the tie down.  Find yourself a tape measure and stick it up under the swingarm about midway along the chain path.  Press your chain all the way up and note where it is on the tape, then all the way down.  Measure the slack.  From now on, you can just use this number to set your chain slack.  Mine works out to be near 2".

The best way to clean your chain is with WD-40, and lots of it.  I buy it by the gallon and use a generic sprayer.  Get the bike on the center stand and wet down the chain with WD-40.  Let it soak in for a few minutes.  Then get a rag and wrap it around the chain in your fist and start spinning the rear wheel and cleaning the chain.  Dont get anything you want to keep caught in the sproket, ok?  You will find that the WD-40 removes all the gunk nicely.  

Another nice use for WD-40 is after washing your bike and it is still wet, I spray down liberally the engine and suspension area (avoiding tires and brakes, obviously).  It gets water out of all the places you do not want it.  Then wipe it off with a shop rag.  Not only does it get the water out of places, it shines the metal bits and leaves a light residue to help keep future gunk from sticking too hard.

I use a Hawke oiler with Mobil 1 15/50 in it and hit the button every 50-100 miles for a quick lube.  Works wonders.

Hope this helps.

sunny

Ta for the replies guys. This is definately nowt to do with bad care and maintenance. I have always looked after my own maintenance and know what i'm doing to a point! Anyway, its regularly cleaned with parafin and a toothbrush then oiled with gear oil. Its always spotless... For the tightness, well i have always ran chains a bit slacker than spec and for the Tiger i had about 50-55mm of slack. It is just off from touching the centrestand while the bike is on the side stand. Think i'll speak to the dealer ref poss warranty claim but i know already what they'll say!!

Sasquatch

I agree about what the dealer will say.  It would be so hard to warrantee a chain because they have no way of truly knowing how it was maintained.  But with so few miles they may do a good faith warrantee on it.

Badger

I agree with Sasquatch on the chain slack. The manual says 35 - 40mm. At this the chain is like a guitar string. I set mine to 50mm.
Growing Old Disgracefully

Howlin

Like most,I use a cut 2x4 to 2/1/4" and put it mid swingarm point and tighten chain till it holds the woood block.Looks loose when off the bike but riding it leaves proper slack.When I first got the bike I tried the ÎTÌslack specs.
It was good if you just looked at the bike,but not worth a tinkers damn when riding! :)
02¢
Now if my new rear tire would get hear I could be riding!

pauljones1227

I had an issue with my chain and my dealer tightening it so tight in its 6000 mile service that the gear bearings wear howling when riding home. With the bike on the centrestand it was as tight as a guitar string.

Needless to say they won't be seeing me again.

But recently I have noticed a chattering type of noise coming from the front sproket area. It only happens on decceleration and the bike has done 6600 miles. Surely it hasn't worn already ??

Quote from: "pauljones1227"I had an issue with my chain and my dealer tightening it so tight in its 6000 mile service that the gear bearings wear howling when riding home. With the bike on the centrestand it was as tight as a guitar string.

Needless to say they won't be seeing me again.

Paul,

They should have seen you again.....straight away. I would have turned around and gone straight back there and told them what I thought of their servicing while the "mechanics" sorted it out. Also I would have insisted on a note in the warranty book saying "The chain was adjusted too tight durring routine service and any premature failure of associated bearings should be treated with due consideration".

I once had to go back to Robinsons in Canterbury when they forgot to reconnect the fuel gauge wires. They were just pulling down the shutters when I returned but they had to sort it.  My reasoning is that I'd just paid them £300 for the 12K service, so why should I have to fiddle with it when I got home.