News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tight fluid screws

Started by Dingo, April 11, 2005, 12:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dingo

Please help. I have a 1996 Tiger which needs the clutch and brake fluids replaced but I cannot undo the crosshead screws as they are stupidly tight. I have bent a screwdriver and succesfully chewed up one of the screwheads. How can I undo these?

Thanks

Sasquatch

Get an impact wrench.  THe ones you can put a phillips tip into and then smack with a hammer.

Be gentle, yet firm.

TigerTrax

I just replaced my clutch and brake fluid ... for the first time since 1969 I had 2 reservoir screws that wuld not break loose.

If impact tool does not work ( it did not on mine ) You must drill them out.

I ended up drilling them out.... if you do... use a bit tslightly larger than the threads and drill down to where the stem begins, simply lift your cap . There will be about 1/4" of the stems that are exposed and with a pair of pliers unthread the stems.

I now have the same issue on ONE brake caliper pin.... It is an SOB! I will have to drill out..... will use a LEFT twist bit and hope it breaks free in the process. If not ... drill enough to pick out the threads with a pick tool!

NOTE:  You should have anti-seize in your tool box for those bolts that are susceptible to grit, moisture, and heat. A great combination for new vocbulary, loss of hair, and how to word my 'FOR SALE' ad!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Dingo

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like I need to buy an impact driver and hope it works. Drilling out the screws has to be a last resort.

Dingo

knarf

Try something like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... eName=WDVW

You could also drill small hole and put in the reverse tap with tap and die set , then use a bolt in your newly created thread to remove the damaged stud.
I love the smell of two strokes in the morning

TigerTrax

Drilling out is no problem....just use a bit LARGER than the shaft of the screw and just go down to the depth of the countersink on the screwhead.

Then... lift the cap and you will see 2 shafts you can unscrew with a needlenose pliers.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

tomla

tigertrax sounds like he's talking from experience!  

do not forget the anti-seize on the new screws!

Dingo

Success with an impact driver. Thanks everyone for your help!