News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

shock links/dog bones

Started by JayDub, January 20, 2015, 10:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

Quote from: JayDub on January 25, 2015, 07:51:05 PM
Thanks Mustang  :thumbsup It makes sense, I just couldn't 'see' the geometry at work. Got it now, AND a headache!
So the standard length is either 185 or 190mm, then I imagine 15mm should make for a significant drop in seat height?
i still feel its very high and I'm not really a short arse (32" inside leg) would going to 210 or even 215mm be excessive?
I'd like to be able to reach the earth with both feet when on uneven ground  :icon_eek:
I nearly dropped it bumping up onto a kerb once, and if I stop over a pothole, sometimes it embarrassing  :icon_redface:
if it's too tall ,why not  roll the rear eccentrics over 180 degrees and pull the fork tubes up an inch in the triple trees (yokes).
you will easily drop the height at least an inch , and then you can flat foot the ol girl without screwing with the dog bones .
The only downside is you get a little faster wear on the bottom run  of the chain rub strip but less wear on the top .
will still easily last 25k or more before you have to replace it .
as a plus it also changes the steering geometry a bit and makes it rail on corner carving ability :bad

JayDub

Quote from: Mustang on January 25, 2015, 11:27:01 PM
and then you can flat foot the ol girl
Its most definitely a 'He'  :nod
I think I exaggerated a bit lookin at my last post, I forget to sit right forward on it (nuts on the tank) as that helps a lot, I can actually get both feet almost flat on the ground but it is awkward maneuvering the beast, I want to replace or at least tidy up the droplinks the PO made so I'll make up another set and maybe go another 10mm.  Thinking carefully about it, I would have to lower it quite a bit to be able to touch down on uneven terrain, so maybe I should just practice more (learn to ride better even :icon_redface: ). I may try the flipping the eccentrics and dropping the forks just to see what happens to the handling as it sounds interesting - seeing as its so good already, the rub strip is getting on for replacement anyway and its mostly worn at the top, so I could even get a bit more out of it  :bad ....Thanks again Mustang! your input is most helpful  :thumbsup

Sin_Tiger

Since you've now confirmed that the rear has been lowered, if the forks are set as original you will have a unbalanced bike.  I think you need to slip the fork tubes up in the yokes by about 15mm as Mustang says and ride it for a bit before you do anything else.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

motoOzarks

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

JayDub

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on January 26, 2015, 06:52:08 PM
Since you've now confirmed that the rear has been lowered, if the forks are set as original you will have a unbalanced bike.  I think you need to slip the fork tubes up in the yokes by about 15mm as Mustang says and ride it for a bit before you do anything else.
thats something I didn't consider! When I first got the bike, the left tube was up 15mm and the right was flush  :icon_scratch: - a job for this afternoon methinks  :nod thanks Niall.

JayDub

:hat10 I dropped the forks to approx 16mm - the diameter of a 13mm socket - which was the nearest form of gauge to hand so as to get both legs equal  :qgaraduate, I noticed the difference as soon as I sat on the bike but I probably won't get a chance to ride it now until the w/end  :icon_frown:

Sin_Tiger

You'll notice the difference as soon as you ride also  :thumbsup

It'll be a different beast, so take it easy for the first few bends no matter how well you know the road.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JayDub

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on January 27, 2015, 11:51:25 PM
You'll notice the difference as soon as you ride also  :thumbsup

It'll be a different beast, so take it easy for the first few bends no matter how well you know the road.
OK Dad!  :wheel  :icon_biggrin: : promise  :bad

Sin_Tiger

JayDub

rybes

Quote from: JayDub on January 23, 2015, 08:40:08 PM
Thanks guys,
rybes: I was even thinkin of just four rose joints and two lengths of HT threaded bar with lock-nuts?
I just got a reply form jack Lilley's...
"We do have a Tiger 885cc carb model in our early Triumph bike collection.
Checking this bike the part measures approx 190mm between centres. "
Were u wearing your specs rybes? or was he? shall I go for 187.5mm  :icon_wink:

well you see....ahem, as there on the bike and the bolts and nuts are on opposin sides it made it difficult to get an accurate measrument. 185 was the best i could do. just didnt wanna say it was a best guess lol
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

JayDub

Quote from: rybes on January 29, 2015, 01:12:51 PM
well you see....ahem, as there on the bike and the bolts and nuts are on opposin sides it made it difficult to get an accurate measrument. 185 was the best i could do. just didnt wanna say it was a best guess lol
Good enough mate, I'm keepin them at 200 for now, I may not need to go any lower.