News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

shock links/dog bones

Started by JayDub, January 20, 2015, 10:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayDub

On my quest to return the beast to its former glory (kind of) I want to know exactly what the PO has done to the rear suspension.  As you can see in the pic, the time and effort he has put into the work of art which replaces the shock links/dog bones  :icon_eek:
Can anyone tell me the measurement between the holes on the original links/dog bones please.... and do you have any OEM ones to sell? (I've posted a want to buy in the appropriate section)

rybes

have you thought about left and right threaded rose joints and making an adjustable set ? theyd look right nice too  :icon_cool:

Sorry mate I accidentally wrote all over your post.  I've put it right now (using my newly acquired administrator skills Bwahhhhaa)  BB
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

JayDub

That would look the dogs doo-dahs  :sign13 but I have the same concern for the strength of the materials, dunno... maybe later.
In the meantime, I still need that measurement as a starting point, u got any spare standard ones - are you going near the steamer today matey?  :icon_wink: :icon_biggrin:

rybes

just been down and it comes out at 185mm. not go no spare ones tho sorry mate. had to measure the ones on the bike

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: rybes on January 22, 2015, 09:06:10 PM
have you thought about left and right threaded rose joints and making an adjustable set ? theyd look right nice too  :icon_cool:

You're a flippin' genius you are  :notworthy

The materials and thread would have to be of the highest quality though as that link takes a lot of punishment.   A simply constructed set could be used to get the setting right then the dimensions used to make a bespoke solid set.  Far safer....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

JayDub

Quote from: rybes on January 23, 2015, 04:18:42 PM
just been down and it comes out at 185mm. not go no spare ones tho sorry mate. had to measure the ones on the bike
Brilliant That measurement is what matters, I have something to work with now  :eusa_clap I even emailed Jack Lilley to see if they could tell me, still ....waiting  :sleepy1 thanks fella. I'll measure mine tomorrow and see what they are then if need be I'll make a pair up using 6mm plate and see how it goes, I like the idea of the rose joints tho' and lookin at whats available from the likes of Lust racing I think it wouldn't be too much of a gamble as theirs seem to be just 5-6mm plate (for 55 quid!  :icon_eek: ). there are loads of options in the motorsport market which should be tough enough considering the battering they're designed to take.

rybes

JayDub

Thanks guys,
rybes: I was even thinkin of just four rose joints and two lengths of HT threaded bar with lock-nuts?
I just got a reply form jack Lilley's...
"We do have a Tiger 885cc carb model in our early Triumph bike collection.
Checking this bike the part measures approx 190mm between centres. "
Were u wearing your specs rybes? or was he? shall I go for 187.5mm  :icon_wink:

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: JayDub on January 23, 2015, 08:40:08 PM

"We do have a Tiger 885cc carb model in our early Triumph bike collection.

I've seen it, black and absolutely mint, don't there is even any wear on the peg rubbers  :icon_eek:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JayDub

JayDub

I got around to measuring the drop links that the PO "fabricated"... 200mm centers, Have I got it a bit wonky here, but don't you shorten them to lower the suspension  :icon_scratch:

Mustang

Quote from: JayDub on January 25, 2015, 05:04:22 PM
I got around to measuring the drop links that the PO "fabricated"... 200mm centers, Have I got it a bit wonky here, but don't you shorten them to lower the suspension  :icon_scratch:
I believe you'll find that shorter dogbones raise the ass end and longer ones lower it .
reason being the dogbones being longer will lower the suspension link which reduces the height of the bike

nickjtc

Quote from: Mustang on January 25, 2015, 05:54:15 PM
I believe you'll find that shorter dogbones raise the ass end and longer ones lower it .
reason being the dogbones being longer will lower the suspension link which reduces the height of the bike

Is there anything you DON'T know Mustang??  :notworthy
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

JayDub

Quote from: Mustang on January 25, 2015, 05:54:15 PM
Thanks Mustang  :thumbsup It makes sense, I just couldn't 'see' the geometry at work. Got it now, AND a headache!
So the standard length is either 185 or 190mm, then I imagine 15mm should make for a significant drop in seat height?
i still feel its very high and I'm not really a short arse (32" inside leg) would going to 210 or even 215mm be excessive?
I'd like to be able to reach the earth with both feet when on uneven ground  :icon_eek:
I nearly dropped it bumping up onto a kerb once, and if I stop over a pothole, sometimes it embarrassing  :icon_redface: