News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

6sigma carb kits

Started by almac, February 03, 2015, 03:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

almac

Has anyone had any experience with 6sigma carb kits, http://www.6sigmajetkit.com
The advertise a kit for Steamers that seems to offer a solution to some of the carb problems.

GavD

Simple answer is no, just be careful as Steamers used Mikuni's and keihins (later models). Be sure you're getting the right ones.

The only kits I've ever seen for sale are for Mikuni's as they were used for longer and hence there are more mikuni carbed triumphs around.

I rejetted my Keihins after reading mustangs posts and ordered individual jets from www.allensperformance.co.uk
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Sin_Tiger

Same here, never heard of this outfit before.

USD 70 doesn't sound too bad but I'm wary of drilling the slides (Dynojet used the same trick, supposed to give faster response) as these are almost the single most expensive part to buy being only available from Triumph as nobody else uses the slide dimensions that were used on the 885's. If you're having issues with carburation I'd get them sorted properly with the original parts. I've had carbs that have had the Dynojet kit fitted and can confirm the original set up in good nick is a much nicer ride and a lot better fuel consumption.

Usually problems associated with the Mikuni carbs are due to:-

a) Air Leaks at the rubbers or an airbox in poor condition or both intake snorkels open at the same time.
b) Gummed up or incorrectly set idle jets.
c) Fuel supply issues such as the strainers on the petcock inside the tank collapsing or the filter inside the fuel supply pipe being clogged.
d) Carbs and or exhaust cans that have messed about with in an effort to get more power by well meaning individuals.

There's lots to read about it here if you haven't already and plenty of tales of woe as well, think carefully before spending your hard earned and possibly paying for a massive headache, beer headaches are cheaper and don't last as long  :bad
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

JayDub

He's right ↑ ↑ ↑ I Most definitely agree... I put lots of time and cash into putting the carb system back to standard, just to get it to run nicer.
Manufacturers put time and money into setting up bikes and they usually get it right, I think anything that is done after it leaves the factory doesn't really 'improve' it - It just 'changes' it and theres always a price to pay.

fishnbiker

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on February 03, 2015, 07:35:33 PM
Same here, never heard of this outfit before.

USD 70 doesn't sound too bad but I'm wary of drilling the slides (Dynojet used the same trick, supposed to give faster response) as these are almost the single most expensive part to buy being only available from Triumph as nobody else uses the slide dimensions that were used on the 885's. If you're having issues with carburation I'd get them sorted properly with the original parts. I've had carbs that have had the Dynojet kit fitted and can confirm the original set up in good nick is a much nicer ride and a lot better fuel consumption.

Usually problems associated with the Mikuni carbs are due to:-

a) Air Leaks at the rubbers or an airbox in poor condition or both intake snorkels open at the same time.
b) Gummed up or incorrectly set idle jets.
c) Fuel supply issues such as the strainers on the petcock inside the tank collapsing or the filter inside the fuel supply pipe being clogged.
d) Carbs and or exhaust cans that have messed about with in an effort to get more power by well meaning individuals.

There's lots to read about it here if you haven't already and plenty of tales of woe as well, think carefully before spending your hard earned and possibly paying for a massive headache, beer headaches are cheaper and don't last as long  :bad

I also have a Suzuki DR650 that I put a jet kit with a drilled slide. I discovered that indeed, response time is quicker, but with a new issue added: a mid throttle pulsing in a steady pace. Usually 2500 ~ 5000RPM.

Solution: re-filied the drilled slide with a small dab of SILICONE SEAL. The quicker throttle response advertised is best used at constant full off/full on throttle application, not a steady speed.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

almac

The thought of drilling the slides is not something I am interested in but the kit price for the jets and other bit has some appeal.
The bigest problem with owning a Triumph at this end of the world is the importer distributor who seem to think everyone earns as much as they do, parallel importing makes a joke of the NZ dealer, I can buy a seal from the US and have it delivered in under a week for under half the price I can buy it locally, both genuine parts.

Sin_Tiger

Small local market countries tend to be like that, Singapore is very similar.

Changing to their jets without drilling the slides may leave you in an even worse state with a motor that bogs, fouls plugs or even overheats at the other end of the scale. Unless you have a lot of experience tuning carbs I'd tend to stick with the stock kit in good fettle.

Try contacting Steve at Motocarb (Liverpool UK with a lot of experience for these carbs) for an honest answer and fair price for parts, he'll probably ship them too.

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JayDub

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on February 03, 2015, 07:35:33 PM
b) Gummed up or incorrectly set idle jets
By idle jets do you mean pilot jets? or the air mixture screws? (Pilot air screws) I was just wondering where there was any adjustment for the idle jets.  :icon_scratch:

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: JayDub on February 07, 2015, 08:52:19 PM
By idle jets do you mean pilot jets? or the air mixture screws? (Pilot air screws) I was just wondering where there was any adjustment for the idle jets.  :icon_scratch:

Sorry, got a bit tongue tied translating from my native Jockanese  :icon_scratch:

JayDub

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on February 07, 2015, 10:35:26 PM
Sorry, got a bit tongue tied translating from my native Jockanese  :icon_scratch:
Tut-tut Niall, you've been down in the distillery haven't you  :nono

threepot

I knew a chap who drowned in a distillery after falling into one of the vats,but he got out to go to the toilet 3 times!! :bad
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: threepot on February 08, 2015, 12:02:23 AM
I knew a chap who drowned in a distillery after falling into one of the vats,but he got out to go to the toilet 3 times!! :bad

:ImaPoser :ImaPoser :ImaPoser