News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Air boxes/intake Auxillary chambers

Started by London_Phil, March 21, 2015, 11:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

London_Phil

Hi all

Whilst swapping my rear brake master cylinder, I noted my right side air box/aux chamber is cracked in a number of places.
Looking on fleabay, I see that some for sale, possibly from later bikes, but all with part no 2200006,  appear to have metal inserts where the bolts fit.
It appears they are standered for most carb models, so question...
Anyone know if the shouldered bolts on the earlier type will still fit?, I would imaging the bolts will need to be swapped too.

Regards

Phil

Sin_Tiger

There are two (at least tat I've come across) variations. One has a single long self tapper going all the way through the after cover vertical joint, the filter and screws into the plastic of the main body.

The other (possibly a later variant) has two machine screws (M4 I think) in place of the single self tapper, that screw into brass nutserts pushed into the main body flange. There are other small variations but they are otherwise interchangeable.

If the filter you will be using has only a single hole, just drill it to suit, the original home will be covered or stick a blob of silicone if you want to be pedantic. Tye K & N filters only have one hole.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

London_Phil

Sorry Sin, I did not make it clear, I think.

I am talking about the auxiliary chamber.
The one in this picture has metal inserts where it attaches to the bike, but my one has plastic  tube as part of the moulding, and it has cracked.

I wonder if the shouldered bolt of my old one will fit.

Regards

Phil

Sin_Tiger

:icon_idea: with you now  :icon_cool: I haven't seen that variation, might be a later upgrade or another T400 model. I guess if the part no.s are the same you should be ok.

Personally I would just try to do a bit of touch up plastic welding unless they are really bad. Cracks won't make a huge difference to performance but if you're worried a good quality silicone adhesive/sealant might be enough.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

GavD

Phil,

Just whipped the side panel off, mine is as you describe, all plastic with 2 holes for shouldered bolts. One bolt goes to a captive nut in the battery box, the other has a loose nut on it.

i guess you'll just have to try the bolts and if they don't fit get some non shouldered ones that will.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

London_Phil

Thanks Guys.

Just nabbed some from fleabay that are same as mine, no point in complicating it.
If anyone finds they have the type with metal insert, I would like to know how they mount.

Regards

Phil