News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2006 '955 clunking noise ??

Started by Tiger-G, April 07, 2015, 09:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger-G

Thanks for the further info chaps   :icon_biggrin:

I've got front and rear wheel bearings on order, as well as the sprocket carrier, so that will elliminate that.

The thought of spending £60 on a new cush drive makes me very tearful !!  It does look ok, but it's too much of a coincidence with having it off and the clunking sarting straight after.

Looking back through my records, the chain, sprockets and tensioner and rubbing strip have been on since July 09, and currently have 26,000 miles on them. Although the chain looks in good nick, it might be time to change that too.

I'll be ptting a new filter and oil in it too, so that may elliminate any clutch worries.

Thanks again, will let you know how I get on   :icon_lol:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Tiger-G

Well, after quite a bit of work on the Tiger, I think I've finally got rid of my "clunk". Exactly what it was that fixed it remains unknown ??   :icon_scratch:

I replaced the oil and filter in case it was clutch related.
I replaced the rear wheel bearings. The sprocket carrier bearing was in a bad way.
I replaced the swing arm chain guide and lower rubbing strip tensioner.
I checked the chain tension and condition, and the sprockets for wear. They were ok.
I took the rear shock off and lubricated the bushes, etc.
I reset the rear suspension. It was very soft.
I checked the swing arm bearings - they were fine.
I padded out the cush drive much more with bit of an old cycle innertube.

Somewhere in there lies the solution. Just what it is I do not know. Probably a combination of a few things. I still think there is a slight clunk when the clutch comes out in first gear, but it's no where near what it was like.
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...