News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2006 '955 clunking noise ??

Started by Tiger-G, April 07, 2015, 09:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger-G

Hi Guys,

I've just spent two days cleaning all the dead stuff off my 2006 '955, after I didn't wash it once last year (I know, I know, the shame !!). There was mould and fungus growing on the dead flys and bugs !!

Anyroadup...........to cut a long story short..............I had the rear wheel off, cush drive out and back in, chain cleaned, front sprocket (which was loose) tightened, etc.

When I've got it all back together and gone for a ride, there's a clunking noise as I let the clutch about 1/2 - 3/4 of the way out in first gear. Seems to do it both on the move when i slip the clutch and from a stand still. It's just one clunk, not a series of them. Not in any of the other gears, and not when I jerk the bike on and off the throttle with the clutch out. I Can feel it through the pegs. I can't tell if it's coming from the rear wheel area, or the clutch. It's got 43,000 miles on it, and gets ridden hard. And, the oil has been in for a year.

Do you think it will be clutch related, or more likely the cush drive, since I've been playing with it ??

here's some pics:

Any advice will be welcomed    :icon_biggrin:

Cheers,
Graeme.
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Mustang

try flipping the cush rubber over  :^_^

it will change the direction they are being driven

which I'm willing to bet is how they used to sit in the wheel before you "cleaned" it  :ImaPoser

Tiger-G

Lol, cheeky bugger !!   :pottytrain2

As you can see in the pics, it only goes in one way due to the connecting strips. I've seen a couple of vids on YTube, people padding the rubber out with bits of old innertube, but there doesn't seem to be any play on it ??  Will give it a go in the morning, but don't know much about the workings of the clutch. Wonder if it's sticking ??
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Bixxer Bob

If it didn't do it before you effed with it, it's something you did.

Look at what you did and check you put it all back as it was.  Clutch plates sticking would affect gear changes, not just pulling away.

Target for me is cush drive and chain tension.  If you followed the manual, its  too tight.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

Same thoughts here, it's easy to do moving from one side of the rim to the other and getting it wrong, ask anyone who's put a tyre on with the wrong rotation  :augie
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Tiger-G

Thanks for the info on the clutch, it's one thing I'm not too sure about on bikes.

I'll redo the cush drive and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the input   :icon_wink:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Tiger-G

Hmmm, although there wasn't much movement, I packed out the cush drive with some bits of old innertube (as per the advice on t'internet), but there's still a clunk when letting the clutch out in first. It only seems to be as I've come down the gears into first for a junction. As I feed the clutch most of the way out, there's a clunk. It's not as bad as it was, but it's still there.

Think I'll just ignore it !!   :^_^
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Bixxer Bob

Just for reference,  how did you set the chain tension???
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Tiger-G

As you'll already know, I've had Tigers for 20 years, so the chain is set up ok. About 45mm free play on the centre stand.

Chain and sprockets last changed in July 09. Now got about 24,500 miles on them. All look ok though ??

Wish i knew a bit more about clutches and gearboxes, I think it's got to be related to that ??
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Mustang

How's the bearing in the sprocket carrier ?

Tiger-G

Quote from: Mustang on April 08, 2015, 11:36:54 PM
How's the bearing in the sprocket carrier ?

Too technical, too technical, brain overload, lack of knowledge !!   :bug_eye

Is that the rear sprocket Mustang, or the front ??
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Mustang

rear, there are three bearings back there .

2 in the wheel and one in the too technical thingy that the sprockets bolted to  :bad

rf9rider

Have you checked the chain rub block and strip?

Might be chain hitting on the swing arm?

nigeh

I had a slight clunk/graunching noise from the rear last year and tracked it down to the cush-drive.  Bike had around same mileage as yours.  Purchased one from Triumph and did help a lot but still slight graunching!

As far as chain goes I set mine to 55mm to 60mm slack on centre stand but I normally ride with a lot of luggage on!

Good luck with tracking it down as frustrating when this happens.
who needs four cylinders??

www.maisonlaudiere.com

Chris Canning

When Triumph built the 955 they didn't have a clue what they were doing with suspension I've had that pointed out to me in no uncertain terms when trying to sort mine out just look at the new Triumphs and you'll see the difference.

Chain tension is all down to how much weight so if your a fat bastard you'll need a lot more slack  :icon_wink: and the only real way to check is sit on the bike and lean down and check with your finger.

Re the bearings the one to check is in the sprocket carrier.