News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear Brake Pads

Started by nickjtc, May 17, 2015, 02:37:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

New pads finally arrived... so much for 'Express' post. Stripped the caliper and found that one of the two pistons was sticking mightily due to an accumulation of mung in the bore. Cleaned everything out, re-greased everything, re-assembled and replaced/bled the questionable looking brake fluid. It was only 18 months old but looked like it had been in the system for years.

All in all a straight forward job and it only took about an hour.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

ssevy

On my Legend, I used red rubber grease and new piston seals. I also polished the pistons on a fine wire wheel and cleaned out the caliper bodies really well. Using the red rubber grease absolutely transformed the performance of the brakes on that bike, and I am going to do the same thing on the Tiger. Sounds trivial really, but that red rubber grease is amazing! Also very difficult to find here in the states, as no auto parts store seems to carry it. I got it on ebay.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

nickjtc

Quote from: ssevy on May 30, 2015, 06:52:10 PM
Also very difficult to find here in the states, as no auto parts store seems to carry it. I got it on ebay.

Interesting. I got mine at the local big box place, aka Crappy tire. Readily available.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"