News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Can these calipers be rescued

Started by neilo, May 31, 2015, 10:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

John Stenhouse

Can't remember the year but from memory Honda VN750 shadow, pads fit my early Girly which is the same caliper as one on the Steamer.

Yes here's a link to an e bay listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Factory-Spec-brand-Front-Brake-Pads-Honda-Shadow-600-750-1100-ACE-Spirit-/380891820432
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

neilo

Thanks for the info chaps, plenty to get my teeth into now  :thumbsup

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

John Stenhouse

So the early Girly calipers are different, since all three on my bike take that shadow pad.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Sin_Tiger

Looks like it, it's not like Triumph to use something unique on a mainstream model though.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

NeilD

theres a few variations of bodies and pads across the ranges (from the 90's through to current models!) but the seals and pistons are common..  these are still showing as available on the world of triumph site at £28 each... listed  as carb sprint r/h front but i'm pretty sure its the same as at least one steamer position, maybe have to swap the slider/mount bracket over... worse case its a set of seals, pistons, pins and rubbers for £28 :)

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_locator.php?block_01=&block_02=100066478-0-2&block_03=10166

theres also a thread on the Girly section regarding what  other seals etc fit...  going back to the original post, i'd lob those and find some better ones to re-seal.. 

Sin_Tiger

:iagree not even much use as maritime vessel immobilisers, not heavy enough.

neilo

Plan is to order the (carb sprint r/h front caliper) on the recommendation of NeilD, fingers crossed that has the front RH sorted. Plan for the LH front is to pick up a slightly used explorer rear as it looks the same. What ya think ? 

NeilD

as i said, not actually tried one of those calipers on a steamer, however worse case is a cheap set of parts to rebuild another caliper :)

neilo

In for a penny in for a pound !!! I've taken the plunge and ordered the caliper today, it appears from speaking to the parts chap at my local dealer people are buying the calipers for the sole reason of using the pistons and seals as its so cheap.

Sin_Tiger

Should be ok with the Dora rear on the LHF. Odd, a set of stainless pistons with seals and red grease is only £45  :icon_scratch:

neilo

The advice paid off Lads  :thumbsup new calipers turned up in the the post today and what a result  :icon_biggrin: For the front right and rear I ordered 2 carb Sprint calipers P/N 2020700-T0301 at the bargain price of £28 each which by surprise also came fitted with pads. All I did was change the slider/mount brackets. For the front left I picked up a second hand 2012 Tiger Explorer rear caliper which is a direct fit, no need to even change the slider/mount bracket as it's identical. Even treated the old girl to a new set of brake lines.
Picture shows the calipers with changed slider/mount brackets ready to fit to the steamer. Thanks for all the input chaps

nickjtc

That's what's known of as a 'result'!!
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"