News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Can these calipers be rescued

Started by neilo, May 31, 2015, 10:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neilo

Stripping the calipers on my 93 Steamer for overhaul but they have had a hard life. The outer face where the dust seal sits has received a fair amount of damage. Can they be refurbished ?  :^_^ if not what are my options for replacements ?

Nick Calne

Do you wanna chance it with brakes, probably not.

Ebay is the cheapest answer, there was a thread on here about discount new old stock steamer stuff a month or do ago.  You might get lucky.  Think the author was Threepot.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

GavD

'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Nick Calne

neilo

New old stock at discounted prices sounds good. Don't want to pay an arm an a leg, been looking on Ebay but my searches haven't thrown much up and it's a risk with old second hand parts. Probably been asked a few times but what are the alternatives from other bikes ?

Nick Calne

Ooh blimey. Try the search thingy as someone will have asked that before.  To my knowledge the tiger ones are reasonably unique. The haynes manual certainly points out differences with other similar models.

If push comes to shove I have some spares you can borrow while you search for new if you like. 

neilo

Thanks guys, downloaded the PDF  :icon_biggrin:

GavD

I don't remember steamer calipers being on the list, just done a quick check and i think you're out of luck.

US site calmoto uses triumph part numbers and has a search box. Then when you've searched the P/N it tells you further down the page which models it fits. I think the caliper on the list that says it's for a tiger is an 885i model one.

GavD

neilo

Thanks nickcalne, that's a nice offer. I'm not in a major rush but will bear it in mind. I still have some work to do before she is ready for the MOT, the more parts I remove the longer the list is getting. As i expected from a bike that's been in a shed covered in hay for the last 10 years.

Geoff W

I have an ultrasonic hot water bath for cleaning bits, a caliper will fit in. However they look a bit chipped and may need more than just cleaning, but if you can get them to me I will put them in the bath.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

threepot

there's one on eBay for £18.99!!!! quick!
95 Super111
96 Tiger

neilo

Thanks for the offer Geoff  :thumbsup

Threepot, can you email me the link, much appreciated

rf9rider

As has been mentioned, i`m sure the front caliper is unique to the Steamer, although i have a feeling i`ve read that the rear caliper from the Girly might be the same as one side?  :^_^

Sin_Tiger

:icon_eek: Which ocean did you say you found the bike in?

Front right and rear are the same caliper and pad (FA214)
Front left is opposite (FA215) also used as rear calipers for Hinckley Bonnevilles and the newer Trophy models (yes really, even with ABS)

These calipers were fitted, and still are I believe, to many Hondas of the period and possibly some Kawas, don't ask me which ones, I'm not that much of an anorak  :nono keep quiet at the back and if anyone mentions indicators I'll be very cross  :icon_rolleyes:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint