News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Your Steamers ENGINE SOUND. Any bonus sound effects as mine?

Started by Danwarb, June 03, 2015, 11:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danwarb

Hi Guys,

I have been LOVING my 1997 Triumph Tiger how ever there's one thing I can't get used to and that's the seeming loud 'rattle' from the engine when I get above 5000 revs. I'm barely one rung above novice but what it seems like is the rattle is in sink with each engine turn.

Does your Stramer sound the same?

What could it be?

Can it be repaired?

Cheers,

Dan

:icon_study:
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

threepot

Owners normally question the 'mechanical' noise, normally at idle..which is normal. But they shouldn't make any unusual noise at that speed? Does it come from a particular part of the engine? Right side..camchain??
95 Super111
96 Tiger

nickjtc

Quote from: threepot on June 03, 2015, 11:28:46 PM
Does it come from a particular part of the engine? Right side..camchain??

Rattly top end.... valves ticking???
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Danwarb

Quote from: nickjtc on June 04, 2015, 12:53:24 AM
Rattly top end.... valves ticking???

That's sounds like it could be it. I've little idea.

Could it be that one of the pistons just clips the top before returning back down.

Is this possible?

Have any of you encountered anything similar?
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Sparky

Quote from: Danwarb on June 04, 2015, 02:26:17 PM
Could it be that one of the pistons just clips the top before returning back down.

I hope not, pistons hitting valves or anything else never has a good outcome in my experience.
1998 Steamer. Sold, replaced with a 2016 Africa Twin.
1982 Honda FT 500 Ascot,  1983 Honda VT 500 Ascot

nickjtc

Quote from: Danwarb on June 04, 2015, 02:26:17 PM

Unlikely. You'd hear it at all revs and the engine would not last very long. Having said that, didn't I read somewhere that Steamer engines are 'full clearance' and the pistons would never hit the valves regardless of the timing....??

Danwarb

Quote from: nickjtc on June 05, 2015, 04:38:43 AM
Unlikely. You'd hear it at all revs and the engine would not last very long. Having said that, didn't I read somewhere that Steamer engines are 'full clearance' and the pistons would never hit the valves regardless of the timing....??

Interesting.

I wonder if it's a vibration thing where once at 5000 revs or more the vibration makes something rattle but this doesn't seem right as its too synchronised with each turn the engine makes.

I'll begin checking the exhaust is well bolted to the bloc.

What else could I investigate please guys?

:notworthy
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Geoff W

If you can , bring the bike to the Wales meet. We can all compare strange Steamer noises. I am sure that they all sound like a tin of spanners having an epileptic fit, just some fits are noisier than others. You can try putting Epilim down the intake, yours or the bike's, not sure that it will help much.
These bikes sound like a down at heel tank sometimes, but they go fine,................. most of the time.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

nickjtc

Quote from: Geoff W on June 05, 2015, 10:05:08 PM
I am sure that they all sound like a tin of spanners having an epileptic fit....These bikes sound like a down at heel tank sometimes

I resemble that remark!! MY Steamer only sounds like a sack of cutlery rattling around... :icon_wink: :icon_wink:

Mustang

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Danwarb

Quote from: nickjtc on June 05, 2015, 10:59:36 PM
I resemble that remark!! MY Steamer only sounds like a sack of cutlery rattling around... :icon_wink: :icon_wink:

:ImaPoser

Ha ha! Hilarious posts !!

:ImaPoser

In all honesty it does sound the same as the Steamer I had before. With every turn of the engine there is like a 'tick' made by some component in the engine but it's only noticeable when I get to around 5000 revs.
I was wondering if it was that there's a loose joint between the bottom of a piston and the 'crank shaft' if that's what it's called (?) so there's a gap between the parts meaning that on the turn of the down and the up of the crank shaft that there's a click as the driving force of the piston each time is switched from pulling to pushing the crank.

Just thoughts . . .

:icon_study:
Black 1995 Tiger 885

GavD

Dan,

over the years I've come to the conclusion that it's best not to think ............ just ride. Think when it stops.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

threepot

Steamers work well under 5k revs mind you :augie 

The t3 and t4 engines are probably the closest thing to a diesel! But after 2.5k revs.......... :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :love10
95 Super111
96 Tiger

GavD

:iagree
I really don't rev mine much above 5500rpm. 2 reasons really,
1. Mechanical sympathy for the bike that has served me well for 13 years.
2. There's enough torque below that to keep me smiling.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S