News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

A dark day

Started by Bixxer Bob, June 03, 2015, 11:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

The road near where I live from Watton to Thetford was closed for 5hrs this morning due to an accident; eventually news filtered through that three vehicles were involved.  Later, it was released that the vehicles were an HGV, a van and a motorcycle.  The motorcyclist, in his 20s, had broken legs and suffered a cardiac arrest at the scene but was revived and airlifted to hospital where he later died.

News came this evening that it was one of the ringleaders and most popular members of the bike club for youngsters that I used to run with a friend until we lost use of the building we occupied.  Early reports suggest the motorcyclist was at fault although it's unwise to pre-judge the inevitable inquest.  I'm sad for his family, and for the fact that all the work Tony and I did seems to have had little effect.  Young guys will always believe they are immortal, and young guys will go on leaving behind immeasurable pain.  I always used to say if all our work saved just one life it was worth it.  Right now it's hard to believe we are making a difference.

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

JayDub

And what about the ones that you did have a positive influence on, you may never know about them, but they are there.

Nick Calne

Sorry to hear this. It's always shocking when a rider, especially a young one, is involved in such an accident.

From what I know of you, you are no doubt making a difference and, I suspect, probably in a more substantial manner than you imagine.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

nickjtc

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on June 03, 2015, 11:34:15 PM
Young guys will always believe they are immortal, and young guys will go on leaving behind immeasurable pain.

I agree. Very sad. But interestingly enough, the demographic of the motorcycle riding world here with the fastest growing accident rate is the 'born agains'.... guys in their 50s and 60s who get into (or get back into) riding on bikes that are too big/powerful for their skill level.

Bottom line: make a mistake on two wheels and it's probably going to cost you  :icon_frown:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

PeteH

Always a bad day when we lose a fellow rider, but as you say...best not to pre judge.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

John Stenhouse

It's Jaydub who's made the point. It doesn't feel like it now but you will rarely if ever hear about the ones you save, keep the faith you are making a difference.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Bixxer Bob

Thanks guys!  I went to the site of the accident today and it's pretty clear he was on the wrong side of the road when he hit the lorry.  The garage attendant where he'd just bought fuel said his last words were that he was late for work.

On a brighter note, I have had feedback from the living occasionally;  I used to teach CBTs years ago and still get the odd one coming up to me, if I visit the old haunts, and saying "Look mister, I'm still alive" :icon_mrgreen:

I've also had a chat with the guy I used to run the young bikers club with and he's hopeful that he's found somewhere to hold meetings so there's every chance we can resurrect it. 

By the way, the it has been formally released so I can now say his name was Jake Everett RIP

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...