News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

not approved at bike inspection

Started by ChillMan, June 09, 2015, 05:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChillMan

I got three small errors that caused my Tiger 995i to fail the mandatory bike inspektion (once every two years).

1. The front low beam is too high. It seems only one of the two lights was too high.

2. The two bulbs for the front low beam has different colors, one white and one yellow-ish white. They have to be the same.

I just called the workshop, the guy said a "relay" can be removed, then low beam would be only one bulb and high beam another bulb. Seems like an easy solution, take out the relay and pass the legal requirements. Not sure if one still has to change both bulbs to original correct colors.

Probably this was a modification done by a previous owner, and it has previously been lucky to pass through but I perhaps got a more meticulous inspector.

3. White light is supposed to shine down through the back light glass onto the number plate. But someone had replaced the bulb there with red LED:s that shine only straight backwards, nothing down (especially not white light). Annoying modification by a previous owner...

I hope they only replaced the bulb, not the other stuff... then I'd have to mount an extra light shining white downwards.

ChillMan

I find this page:
http://tiger955i.adrianmolloy.com/Tiger_Servicing.html
where someone says he added a "solenoid" (not relay) to get stronger light. He also cleverly added a switch for the yearly UK inspection.

In Sweden we have "half light" (used day time and night time when there's traffic in the other direction) and "full light" (when dark and no traffic in opposite direction). Is this the same as what he calls "dipped beam" and "main beam"?

Mustang

Quote from: ChillMan on June 10, 2015, 11:21:04 AM
I find this page:
http://tiger955i.adrianmolloy.com/Tiger_Servicing.html
where someone says he added a "solenoid" (not relay) to get stronger light. He also cleverly added a switch for the yearly UK inspection.
he means relay not solenoid , they are relays made by HELLA
In Sweden we have "half light" (used day time and night time when there's traffic in the other direction) and "full light" (when dark and no traffic in opposite direction). Is this the same as what he calls "dipped beam" and "main beam"?
:nod

ChillMan

Another score for my workshop then. Best to just let him fix all of that nonsense.

ChillMan

Workshop fixed all the stupid light problems. Total cost 689 SEK (54 GBP) for 6 bulbs and half an hour work.

Hope it satisfies the meticulous inspector.

Oh, and now I have the two relays in my hand. Might install them after the inspection.

ChillMan

I interviewed my mechanic:

K&N air filter: He tried it back in 2007 and didn't like it. Might give some more power, but not a lot, and it made the engine even more uneven at low rpm. Not recommended.

Spark plugs: Mine have probably not been changed for 30,000 km or so... previous owners didn't make detailed notes. In my case, he said I would not get much of a boost. He'd do it if I buy the 20,000km service, otherwise not recommended.