News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Out of gas...sort of...

Started by Mudhen, April 26, 2005, 03:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

Ran out of gas the other day on my Steamer...sort of.  Gas light came on at about 155 miles, at 165 she started chugging.  Switched it to reserve and it chugged for another half mile and that was it.  I could hear gas in the tank, though...

So I'm assuming something is messed up with the tap.  Is the book right - there are no user serviceable parts?  Do I just need to buy a new one?

Thx
\'96 Steamer

barjan

Do you hear gas in the tank or is it water?

What kind of tap is there on the steamer. If it's a vacuum one, it should read on-pri-res. Try putting it on pri.

Mudhen

Quote from: "barjan"Do you hear gas in the tank or is it water?

What kind of tap is there on the steamer. If it's a vacuum one, it should read on-pri-res. Try putting it on pri.

I hear liquid.

I believe it is vacuum.  It reads fuel, off, on, res.  I tried it on off, on, and res with no luck.
\'96 Steamer

BR

Steamers have a non-vacuum fuel valve.  Sounds like you need to verify if you have fuel flow on the Res position.  Most fuel valves are servicable but perhaps ours is not which means that Triumph doesn't sell the parts and only the entire fuel valve unit.

Brendan

'98 BRG Steamer

San Jose, CA

littlesireko

I'm in the middle of solving the same/similar problem on a 95.  The reserve switch doesnt work. I took my tank off and no fuel comes out on reserve regardless of angle, amount of fuel in it etc.

I tried to take mine off but one of the bolts is sheared otherwise should b a simple replacement of the tap.
Black 95 Tiger

Red 99 R6

littlesireko

Forgot to say - I cant get the flippin tank back on  :oops:

Does anyone know if there a trick to replacing the tank? - came off easily and nothing shifted on removal.

Replacing the rubber grommets ought to do it they have gotten out of shape
Black 95 Tiger

Red 99 R6

Mudhen

According to the Haynes manual, Triumph doesn't sell the pieces to service the tap...only the entire tap.  I think I saw $95 posted somewhere in my research; I haven't verified yet, though.

littlesireko, check the Yahoo list on 4/18...someone else was just having a similar issue getting theirs on.  They were talking about a possibility of the tank being 'swollen'....
\'96 Steamer