News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

hurtful noise probably due to windscreen turbulence

Started by ChillMan, July 31, 2015, 08:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChillMan

Hello,

As you might know by now, I have a Tiger 955i '01. :wheel

When driving there's much noise. Especially if I drive a lot for a week, there are tiny hearing issues. I absolutely want to avoid TINNITUS. I love riding but getting tinnitus is NOT WORTH IT.

I was sure it was my helmet. It can still be PART of the problem but... my friend suggested it might be turbulence from the windscreen too.

I started standing up on the bike at various speeds, 70km/h or 100km/h (still great balance btw) - and 99% of the annoying heavy low frequency noise just disappeared! Remained a whisper and gentle whistle from the wind against the helmet. Sweet. 10x better at least. (Plus wind against my chest cooling me down. :))

There's probably another windscreen fitting my 184cm height, with less turbulence? Either a lower one, or a higher one?

There's a low "sport" Triumph screen. Good?

A quick check on Ebay and I found some screens that you seem to attach to the existing screen, like MRA X-CREEN SPOILER, and MRA Variotouringscreen VT. Good?

motoOzarks

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

ChillMan

Mustang

take a ride without your mirrors ..........seriously  :nod

ChillMan

That would be interesting! But in the long run dangerous, I use them constantly.

Sin_Tiger

Just flip them in on a quiet bit of road, even that will be enough to give you a good idea.

Failing that, put a few washers (or anything else to create a gap) under each screw holding the screen, you might need longer screws. A lot of turbulence is caused by riding with a negative pressure zone behind the screen that is constantly being filled by the air rushing past your helmet in a reverse direction. If that does it consider a set of Plamer adjustable brackets.

I've verified this years and many bikes ago by taping bits of string around the edge of a screen (Not a Girly) and watched them while riding, I even put a ballon in the back of the screen to fill the space, looked bloody weird but it proved the point on that bike at least, everyone is different, just got to find what suits you. Don't go throwing lots of money at different screens and miracle cures until you know what the issue is.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ChillMan

Yeah, that with mirrors I will do. Will be pretty interesting!

Didn't quite understand your idea with washers. Perhaps it allows air to flow below the screen onto the driver?

I just read this review http://www.adventurebikerider.com/section-blog/60-news/217-palmer-products-screen-reviewed.html. The total is £185 so about double compared to the €90 MRA stuff. Will look into it further.

Bixxer Bob

Not sure about your version, but the later Girlies had a channel under the screen that allows the air through.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: ChillMan on August 01, 2015, 09:12:17 PM
Didn't quite understand your idea with washers. Perhaps it allows air to flow below the screen onto the driver?

The total is £185 so about double compared to the €90 MRA stuff. Will look into it further.
:iagree as Mustang says, best start with your mirrors, minimum effort and no cost.

Yes that's the idea with the washers / spacers. The Palmer price has gone up by about £10 since I last looked at them but I think you can use the stock screen on the brackets.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

robxxxx

You need to search of some of the older posts. But my advice would be to buy a Palmer screen and brackets and end your problem now.

ChillMan

We already know that when I stand up, I have no issues, then it's just pure speed wind on my helmet.

Yesterday while driving 110-120km/h I tried bending forward like on a sports bike, thereby sinking my head. I also tried bending my whole back to sink my head straight down. Somewhere in between the two was probably the best, but either way, in all these cases the head was straight behind the screen, and voila - most of the loud noise was significantly reduced to a very acceptable level.

When I sit normal (I am 184cm tall), the edge of the screen probably creates massive turbulence that goes straight to my head. So perhaps just having a much shorter screen could work. (Or none, but it'd be rather ugly. :))

Bixxer Bob,
Yes, there is a small gap/channel that air passes through also on my '01.

Bixxer Bob

Good to know.  I fitted a taller screen which worked for me.  Not perfect but ok.  That subject has been done to death several times already  :icon_wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on August 04, 2015, 01:28:51 PM
That subject has been done to death several times already  :icon_wink:

:iagree

use search button and the term "windscreen" or "wind screen" either one will bring up shitloads of posts about it or the for sale posts of failed attempts at nirvana .......................... :thumbsup

Chris Canning

First time I saw a Palmer screen I thought it was an april the first spoof  :icon_eek: but anyone interested in such there's one on UK ebay.

ChillMan

This Sunday I went on a 430km(!) tour with a friend. He has another bike (brand new KTM Adventure) but when he tried mine he quickly confirmed that bad turbulence is the culprit. Standing up or leaning behind the screen both removed it.

I did search several times, but could find no conclusion except that people have problem with it and try all kinds of remedy. :)

Next time, screen off!