News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fitting a center stand

Started by JayDub, August 25, 2015, 08:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayDub

I think I may have struck lucky here... my neighbour has kindly agreed to me hanging the bike from a nice chunky 9x3 joist in his garage!
In return, I shall fabricate a bracket to hang his diving cylinders  :icon_biggrin:
Is there any place on the steamer I shouldn't use as a suspension point? obviously I wouldn't use the rack, and the rear subframe may not be a good idea?

ssevy

Mirrors wouldn't be so good.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Mustang

triple trees and subframe work just fine , :nod
for that matter I think the rack should be able to take the weight too.
but a jack stand under each foot peg bracket works marvelous ....................

JayDub

Quote from: ssevy on August 26, 2015, 03:29:14 PM
Mirrors wouldn't be so good.
And they're at the wrong end  :icon_lol:

....Mustang, that looks like an accident waiting to happen! :icon_eek:

Mustang

Quote from: JayDub on August 26, 2015, 06:39:06 PM
And they're at the wrong end  :icon_lol:

....Mustang, that looks like an accident waiting to happen! :icon_eek:
:nono rock solid  :nod

GavD

I've never had any  :Topes moments with my sleeper set up, you'll be surprised how stable you can get a bike on blocks/axle stands etc. I changed my shock with it balanced on the sleeper.

I think the mass of a steamer helps, Mr Newton would probably have changed some of his laws if he'd ridden a steamer! :nap

Here's a old pic, when I was doing the Mustang cast wheel conversion on the front, the sleeper is in line with the sidestand pivot.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JayDub

OK, I'm starting to come around to the idea, but I may suspend it as well  :icon_biggrin:

nickjtc

Quote from: Mustang on August 26, 2015, 04:07:18 PM
triple trees and subframe work just fine , :nod
for that matter I think the rack should be able to take the weight too.
but a jack stand under each foot peg bracket works marvelous ....................

It's been mentioned before so it must work!!
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

nickjtc

Quote from: JayDub on August 26, 2015, 12:45:29 PM
nickjtc... are you sure? if I remove the long bolt with weight on the suspension, the link block will push upwards - surely? anyway, in post #3 I see a trolley jack and a piece of wood :icon_wink:

I told you the memory was shot to pieces................ :ImaPoser

Nick
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Beernard

Personally, having recently been a dumb-arse and had to get the lovey-darling to pick my R65 off me, I think safety is paramount. Swing from the suspenders, I say!!!
Ripper, woke up again.

JayDub

Quote from: Beernard on August 27, 2015, 11:36:33 AMSwing from the suspenders, I say!!!
:bad... my imagination runs wild Beernard!

I don't mind the sleeper or frame idea, and would be happy to do that but those axle stands just look dodgy... unless I was to weld them together :sign13 :icon_biggrin:

Mustang

Quote from: JayDub on August 27, 2015, 01:08:18 PM
  :blah :blah :blah......... but those axle stands just look dodgy... unless I was to weld them together :sign13 :icon_biggrin:

JayDub

Quote from: Mustang on August 27, 2015, 06:09:34 PM

:pottytrain2 Right Mustang.... its axle stands at dawn (well, mid morning would be better for me).
I'm gonna use 2 axle stands, (I can borrow 2 more if I feel nervous)... but I'll degrease the areas and may even shove in a couple of bits of rubber so they don't slip  :nod

Mustang

I can get it up on 4 stands without even using a jack ....................... :nod