News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain Rub?

Started by Grambo, September 22, 2015, 04:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grambo

Not sure about this one, but I seem to be experiencing some kind of rubbing or dragging sound by the chain? I think? tension seems fine, so I am not sure what it is that I am hearing and I cant see the problem when I'm on the bike. Any thoughts? I know it is a bit vague...have driven a shaft drive for the past 20 years.

Chris

JayDub

Have you checked the rubbing strip - item #15 on this diagram? I'm not familiar with your model but there may also be a rubbing block under the bottom chain run...

Grambo

Quote from: JayDub on September 22, 2015, 05:14:13 PM
Have you checked the rubbing strip - item #15 on this diagram? I'm not familiar with your model but there may also be a rubbing block under the bottom chain run...

I have the 2006 model...i think I may have that.
Ill check, but not sure what I am looking for? looking for wear? a break? And is this easily spotted without having to take things apart?

JayDub

Make sure there's enough 'meat' on the rubbing strip, If its never been changed then there's a possibility the chain has cut through and will then start on the swing arm, the bottom block may also have worn through to its metal bracket.
I think the strip starts off at about 15mm when new so much more than 2/3 through and I would be ordering a new one.

Grambo

Quote from: JayDub on September 22, 2015, 06:51:48 PM
Make sure there's enough 'meat' on the rubbing strip, If its never been changed then there's a possibility the chain has cut through and will then start on the swing arm, the bottom block may also have worn through to its metal bracket.

I have checked the plastic chain guide (rubbing strip)? still seems to be in reasonable shape. Not sure if it is original or not? Bout it with 42K on the ticker. I hear it in the lower gears as I am down shifting

JayDub

Chain & sprockets OK? and wheel alignment?

Grambo

Quote from: JayDub on September 22, 2015, 06:56:50 PM
Chain & sprockets OK? and wheel alignment?

Yes I believe that they are. I will check again. Maybe a spring maintenance project replacing them all despite.

Mustang

the chain likes to lbe loose on a tigger  :nod
at least 1 1/4 inch play , seriously

Grambo

Quote from: Mustang on September 22, 2015, 07:18:48 PM
Hmmm...not sure that there is that much play in it.

threepot

I had something similar a while back. Turned out the inside of the sprocket cover was packed full of crud!
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Grambo

Quote from: threepot on September 22, 2015, 07:58:53 PM
I had something similar a while back. Turned out the inside of the sprocket cover was packed full of crud!

Not sure if this ride has ever been off the asphalt, but I will definitely give that a check!!

Grambo

OK, the team seems to have plenty of play it just seems to be the sound of the chain dragging on the plastic chain guide... Maybe? Is that normal?

JoeDirt

Quote from: Mustang on September 22, 2015, 07:18:48 PM

I agree with Mustang!!! :bowdown

I have read in the forums here, that these bikes like the chain loose. I recently had my chain too tight and it caused a lot of noise. I loosened mine up more than on street bike and loose like a dirt bike. It made a world of difference. I measured my slack and I can move my chain 1-1/4" up. They seem happier loose.

Grambo

Quote from: JoeDirt on September 23, 2015, 04:49:43 AM
I agree with Mustang!!! :bowdown

I have read in the forums here, that these bikes like the chain loose. I recently had my chain too tight and it caused a lot of noise. I loosened mine up more than on street bike and loose like a dirt bike. It made a world of difference. I measured my slack and I can move my chain 1-1/4" up. They seem happier loose.

I can get about an inch or so with gentle persuasion...so i think the tension is ok. i will take the chain guard off and try to inspect the guide and see how it is looking. I may need new sprockets and chain anyway. They are looking a bit tired. Not sure when or if they have ever been replaced and I just turned 43K on the ticker

Mustang

what happens is when you sit on bike that free play goes away , an inch aint enuff
ideally you need to have someone set the free play at 3/4 inch with your weight on the seat ,