News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Thoughts after 2 months of ownership

Started by Fentible, October 09, 2015, 03:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fentible

Just finished a 1000 mile trip around Scotland, my first big trip on the Tiger since purchase in August of this year.
Just prior to leaving, as mileage was at 12.5K, I completed the 12k service and found that all of the exhaust valve's were well within spec, whilst the inlet were all at 0.10/0.11mm. I will re-check at 18K.

When reconnecting the fuel lines the upper tank connector started leaking, despite new seals. I replaced all the fittings with metal ones and despite careful handling of the plastic connectors in the tank plate, both sheared and I had to pick the plastic threads out. Both my T595 and T509 fittings came out no bother.

I replaced the plugs with Iridium ones, K+N filter, Mahle KL145 fuel filter, HF190 Hi-Flo filter and Motul 10-40 fully synthetic. I also fitted the TOR silencer that came with the bike and loaded the ECU map to the 10121 custom one from the Tune ECU library. I also removed the Lamda sensor, fitted an exhaust blanking plug and purchased an eliminator to plug into the now empty loom socket. I know guys have bought resistors for pennies but I'm not really confident with electrics and at £12 the eliminator wasn't going to break the bank.

Other mods were an MRA Vario touring screen (a godsend), Fehling crash bars, Scottoiler and a carbon effect hugger. I also bought a carbon effect bellypan but it won't fit with the crash bars without some modification. A couple of other minor mods were a replacement R/H switch unit from an ST sprint which has a headlight on/off switch and addition of 2 x relays so both headlights are on in both dip and main beam mode.

The Tiger performed faultlessly throughout the trip and in 985 miles used 17.83 gallons of fuel, which according to my calculator equates to 55mpg on a mix of slow single track, fast A roads and motorway sprints. This with luggage but no passenger and I weigh in at 85 K. The MRA Vario screen eliminated any buffeting I had been experiencing and my only problem was the footrests feeling a tad high for my 6' frame. I didn't find the gearchange particularly bad but it was notchy and occasionally it took a bit of effort to get it from 4th to 5th. My previous tourer was a BMW K100 with silky smooth gearchanges and in fairness the Tiger gearchange is very similar to my T509.

On the whole I am delighted with the bike, its smooth, comfortable (footrest issue aside), I love the torquey engine and it handles as well as I need it too, the current tyres Metzler Tourance seem okay and were relatively new when I got the bike. Here are a few 'on tour ' shots

motoOzarks

That's ride report material right there

enjoy
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

iansoady

Looks lovely.

I fitted Buell footrests to my Tiger - dropped them about 20mm and put them back about the same. I may have a pic somewhere.....

Here:

They come in a silver finish - I applied the satin black.

And here:

ISTR I needed to make a thin bush as the pivot hole was imperial (9/16"?) rather than the metric Triumph dimension.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Fentible

Thanks for the tip on the footrests Iansoady. Spotted some Vario ones which fit the existing footpeg bracket and provide 30mm of adjustment. That should do it just nicely.

Something else I hadn't commented on but the tool kit............what's its purpose, decoration??  :icon_scratch: I couldn't even get the side panel off to adjust my scottoiler flow rate. I will be addressing that for future trips.

Sin_Tiger

:thumbsup glad you got great weather for the Applecross road.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

motoOzarks

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS

Dyn Blin

Quote from: motoOzarks on October 09, 2015, 09:02:52 PM
http://www.knlcycle.com/

There's only one foot peg(s) for a tiger

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/triumph-tiger-off-road-foot-pegs.660374/

Indeed a very robust platform that moves the pegs down a bit for welcome relief for (old?) tired legs and hips.  They look good too.  *and* he makes an excellent valve adjustment tool.
This is why we can't have nice things.

KuzzinKenny

Hey Fentible !! Glad to hear yer gettin on ok with yer Tigger  :thumbsup

+1 on the Mustang pegs  :thumbsup

also have ya checked yer seats not on the lower setting ??

nice pics BTW

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Fentible

Thanks for the heads up on the Mustang pegs, unfortunately I'd already pressed the 'buy it now' on the Vario ones. I should have waited a bit as Kuzzinkenny's advice would also have been useful. I had forgotten the seat was adjustable and yes it was on the lowest setting.

Sin_Tiger, couldn't have had a better day for the pass, hardly any traffic and fantastic views. I can also highly recommend the carrot cake at the Applecross Inn.

motoOzarks