News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear Shock

Started by threepot, October 27, 2015, 08:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danwarb

Quote from: London_Phil on May 19, 2016, 12:05:19 AM
I did mine recently. Its a bit messy, but only complicated if your not too mechanically minded. I would not compare myself to the likes of Sasquatch, and I used ATF oil, but my spare is working fine.

Hi Phil,

My cash opportunities haven't come through so I'm really
Stuck.

I'm mechanically minded to a point and good at  applying my self. I've restored starter motors, taken carbs apart and replaced components as well as other minor bike repairs. With this level of experience do you reckon I'd manage it?

If I renovate it what parts would I need?
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

Danwarb

I'm looking to just get my bike past its MOT for now which it failed due to the current rear shock leaking.

What kind of mileage would I get out of second hand one like this?

Quote from: London_Phil on May 19, 2016, 12:05:19 AM
I did mine recently. Its a bit messy, but only complicated if your not too mechanically minded. I would not compare myself to the likes of Sasquatch, and I used ATF oil, but my spare is working fine.

Hi Phil,

I'm mechanically minded to a point and good
At applying my self. I've restored starter motors, taken carbs apart and replaced components as well as other minor bike repairs. With this level of experience do you reckon I'd manage it?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182072305339

Would it be that difficult for me to refurbish my original one?

:icon_scratch:
Black 1995 Tiger 885

threepot

Quote from: Danwarb on May 21, 2016, 12:57:34 AM
Hi Phil,

My cash opportunities haven't come through so I'm really
Stuck.

I'm mechanically minded to a point and good at  applying my self. I've restored starter motors, taken carbs apart and replaced components as well as other minor bike repairs. With this level of experience do you reckon I'd manage it?

You've had Triumphs before then?? :augie

Only joking! I love them. Wouldn't have any other make! :thumbsup
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

Tools are most likely to be your biggest obstacle, at least proper ones that won't damage bits or hurt you
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Danwarb

Thanks Sin.

That makes it clear for me.

Have any of you got a spare rear shock I can buy off you?

:bowdown
Black 1995 Tiger 885

London_Phil

I bought a shock sealhead repair kit and a bump stop, from K-Tech Suspension Ltd, for less than £40, the bladder was ok, and I refilled mine with ATF and air, not suspension fluid and nitrogen. May not be everyones choice, but so far it has been hugely improved, and hasn't yet exploded..
If your in no rush, strip yours out and refurb it.
I must say that Showa branded one on ebay ( later bikes, older are generally KYB) for less than £33 delivered looks like a good quick fix, If I didn't already have a spare, which is actually my original as the spare is fitted now, I'd buy it.
( Sorry cannot sell to you as the one fitted has a seized rebound adjuster, and I damaged the replacement trying to rush to fit it, so I need to refurb my orig now.)

Danwarb

Quote from: London_Phil on May 22, 2016, 02:58:14 PM
I bought a shock sealhead repair kit and a bump stop, from K-Tech Suspension Ltd, for less than £40, the bladder was ok, and I refilled mine with ATF and air, not suspension fluid and nitrogen. May not be everyones choice, but so far it has been hugely improved, and hasn't yet exploded..
If your in no rush, strip yours out and refurb it.
I must say that Showa branded one on ebay (later bikes, older are generally KYB) for less than £33 delivered looks like a good quick fix, If I didn't already have a spare, which is actually my original as the spare is fitted now, I'd buy it.
( Sorry cannot sell to you as the one fitted has a seized rebound adjuster, and I damaged the replacement trying to rush to fit it, so I need to refurb my orig now.)

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your posts.

Can you give me a link to this Showa branded shock on Ebay for £33 that would fit a Steamer?

I'll then fit this one and look at refurbishing the original.

:ear

Black 1995 Tiger 885

London_Phil

Danwarb

Quote from: London_Phil on May 22, 2016, 09:53:29 PM

Hi Phil,

I'm hoping to find a rear shock with out the second compression chamber to make it a bit easier to fit. I'm not ruling this one one but I don't think I'd receive this one in time to go away this Friday.

Can you give me link to the alternative Showa shock on Ebay please?
Black 1995 Tiger 885

London_Phil

TBH if your in far enough to get the shock out, the remote reservoir is a few extra moments work.
Search for Tiger rear shock on Ebay, and remember ONLY Steamer specific ones fit, as they have forked lower mount.
Even though the Thunderbird drag link is the same, the shock is side mounted.
I really would swap the existing one for a raggedy one that gets you an MOT, if thats all thats holding you back.
Threepot fitted an after market one, and seems happy, but its something like 8 times the price of the Ebay one.

Can't make the decision for you, doing mine was not difficult, its really a personal thing.

BTW did you get my tank insert?
Regards
Phil

Danwarb

Quote from: London_Phil on May 23, 2016, 03:17:14 PM
TBH if your in far enough to get the shock out, the remote reservoir is a few extra moments work.
Search for Tiger rear shock on Ebay, and remember ONLY Steamer specific ones fit, as they have forked lower mount.
Even though the Thunderbird drag link is the same, the shock is side mounted.
I really would swap the existing one for a raggedy one that gets you an MOT, if thats all thats holding you back.
Threepot fitted an after market one, and seems happy, but its something like 8 times the price of the Ebay one.

Can't make the decision for you, doing mine was not difficult, its really a personal thing.

BTW did you get my tank insert?
Regards
Phil

Phil your such a star.

I'm clear now and have bought this grubby one off Ebay with the remote reservoir. Thank you.

:qgaraduate

I'm happy I now understand that these Tiger rear shocks have a 'forked' end to them. The YSS shocks don't seem to have this so don't get how they fit?

I'm now looking forward to the challenge of fitting this mucky one to get my tiger through the MOT before I ride out for a festival. I also look forward to then renovating my original shock, cleaning it up, replacing the warn parts as you mention and also respraying the spring in bright red before assembling it all.
The only bit I'm not clear about is filling it with new dry air / gas and new oil but I'll get to that I'm some point I'm sure.

:rfl

Now to work out how I'm going to get my bike safely supported (tied up to the rafters in my garage and wedged up with timber) then remove the old shock and wait eagerly for the postman.

:thumbsup
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Danwarb

Nobody move . . . I've got a great idea !

:rfl

I've undone the top bolt of the shock and I've noticed the bike dropped and the frame of the bike is now resting on top of the shock.

I'm in a bit of trouble right? When I undo the lower bolt this bike is just going to lower even further, those nylon ropes are going to stretch, probably snap then the bikes going to roll off the chunks of wood I've got under the bash plate and likely fall right !!?

What would you do?

:ear
Black 1995 Tiger 885

London_Phil

I'd recommend putting the bolt back, and look to get some more suitable stands/supports.
You should remove the tank too, but I think you will need to have a more reliable method of supporting the bike.
Car jack and wood block under engine at the very least.
Before I had the centre stand,  I put axle stands under the front pegs after jacking the rear wheel clear to remove the drag link.
As you can see you will need to do some manual re aligning by levering the back wheel. You need to ensure you bike is stable before it all goes nasty.
I think you have a bit of a Health and Safety issue there, tbh

threepot

Can you tie the handlebars to a joist? Place a jack under the rear wheel? I did mine with a paddock stand at the rear,and a jack under the bash plate. As you Jack it up,the link arms align.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Danwarb

Quote from: London_Phil on May 23, 2016, 11:18:21 PM
I'd recommend putting the bolt back, and look to get some more suitable stands/supports.
You should remove the tank too, but I think you will need to have a more reliable method of supporting the bike.
Car jack and wood block under engine at the very least.
Before I had the centre stand,  I put axle stands under the front pegs after jacking the rear wheel clear to remove the drag link.
As you can see you will need to do some manual re aligning by levering the back wheel. You need to ensure you bike is stable before it all goes nasty.
I think you have a bit of a Health and Safety issue there, tbh

Threepot, Phil,

Amazing replies thank you.

:bowdown

I've now securely jacked the bike up and using a chunk of wood and plank wedged under the side stand I'm able to keep the bike safe from tipping.

This is where I'm at now . . .

I had to jack the bike up until the rear wheel was clear of the ground to get the old shock out.

Now I can't get the new shock in, it's slightly longer than the previous but only slightly.

What would you guys suggest?

:icon_study:
Black 1995 Tiger 885