News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How to preserve the paint an the crankcases?.

Started by fraserdog, October 27, 2015, 05:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fraserdog

The new to me 05 Tiger has virtually corrosion free paintwork on the crankcases,whats the best stuff to spray on the black paint to try and keep the dreaded corrosion at bay especially at the front of the engine?
1974 Honda CB500/4
1994 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

JayDub

I doubt there is anything as the problem seems to begin with damage to the paint, allowing the elements (+road salt) to get in and do their thing.
Fitting a 'fender extenda' will minimise frontal damage and also help preserve the exhaust downpipes...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Tiger-955i-Extenda-Fenda-Fender-Extender-Front-Mudguard-Extension-/191067792039?hash=item2c7c8722a7:m:mKsPu259dYURDa5TX5Imrew

Dyn Blin

Quote from: fraserdog on October 27, 2015, 05:59:02 PM
The new to me 05 Tiger has virtually corrosion free paintwork on the crankcases,whats the best stuff to spray on the black paint to try and keep the dreaded corrosion at bay especially at the front of the engine?

I don't know if S100 "Total Cycle Cleaner" is available on your side of the Atlantic, but I use on our family cage wheels (some chrome) and found it works very well not just as cleaner, but for corrosion protection as well.  We camp at the beach regularly, and I've never had an issue on my old Girly despite the fact that I'm definitely not a fanatic about cleaning.  I personally believe a nice patina is flattering (on the bike, too).  A buddy uses it on his snowmobiles and swears it prevents salt damage, but he's a clean freak, so it might be the constant washing in that case.

No affiliation, just a satisfied user. 
This is why we can't have nice things.

Fentible

Quote from: fraserdog on October 27, 2015, 05:59:02 PM

This is like mine and keeping them clean is the answer, I polished mine with a black wax polish, then I spray with back to black which leaves an oily film on. The dirt sticks to the film and is easy to wash off. This works for silver finished crankcases too.

KuzzinKenny

In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Chris Canning

ACF 50 is what I always see mentioned,the paint on mine is nearly as good as the day it came out of the factory but that's because it has never seen a winters day in its life.

BIG BILL

Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the bloody thing (Barry Sheene) Silver 2004 tiger

fraserdog

1974 Honda CB500/4
1994 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

JayDub

Quote from: fraserdog on October 31, 2015, 02:16:40 PM
ACF50 it is then. :thumbsup
300ml Aerosol = £15...  970ml bottle with pump action spray bottle inc = £30, obviously works out cheaper, and less waste.  Better applied with a cloth as if you just spray it on thickly then all the dust & sh1t sticks to it, some won't mind that but it does look a mess. It seems to reverse the corrosion process (well, it looks that way) :icon_smile: It doesn't harm rubber or paint either.

Brother Number One

I'd say Triumph coatings are really pretty good. My engine went a bit dull and I had some metal polish knocking about from polishing brake pistons. Bloody hell it brings the shine back. This is metal polish like Nan used on her silver, not Autosol in a tube. If the coating can take this kind of silliness, it must be pretty good.
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger