News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Clive Woods

Started by Bixxer Bob, November 22, 2015, 09:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

The name is probably know to most as the racer / engineer who worked for the Triumph factory team and Jack Lilley  in the 1990s.  Now retired and living in Lincolnshire he runs a bike maintenance setup and courses from his workshop.  I did a T3 course yesterday (see Steamer section) and while chatting to him asked if he could run a 955i course.  He said he's need a minimum of 6 people but ideally between 8 and 12.

So, if you'd like a Saturday with him, see how to pull apart an engine, hear first hand how the FI works (he's friends with the SAGEM guys that designed it), be fed at lunchtime and afternoon tea, all for around £75, not to mention endeless stories of racing Triumphs in the 90s,  let me have your names and I'll set it up.   Not to spoil it too much but he tells a story about a 955i Daytona he used to race against R1s and 'Blades that weighed 150kg and had 143bhp at the tyre.  He kept the horn fitted and working just to take the piss as he passed them on the straights.....

He's able to do B&B for a couple of people and can recommend a local cheap hotel for anyone else so you can stay over the night before, the night after, or both and most people decamp to the local hostelry for beer and pizza Sat evening before heading off.

Go on, you know you want to.....

Names below please and if we have enough I'll start talking dates.

UPDATE:  Had an email from Clive, he wants to do it mid January if possible so we're probably looking at 16th or 23rd

If that spoils it for you, let me know you're interested anyway.  I might have to go back to Clive and sort something if we have to move it to generate numbers.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

trophydave

He is only about an hour from me,count me in :icon_biggrin:

John Stenhouse

Me too, I guess the 885i is similar enough to be useful
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Bixxer Bob

Two, plus me and a non-forum guy that's interested means we only need a minimum of two more to make this a goer...  :icon_biggrin:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

fattyjr

I'm in and maybe the old man.
98 tiger 885i, 2001 Daytona 955i, 92 trident/sprint 900, 98 trophy 1200, 96 trophy 900, 59 t120 bonnieville, 64 t120 bonnieville, 63, tiger t100s/s, 98 tl1000s, 07 Buell xb1200, 98 husqvarna sm610  x2, 81 husqvarna cr500, 84 husqvarna cr500, 98 xvs650, 90 sportster 883/1200 race bike. And a few more

Bixxer Bob

Good man! If you'r old man is in too that's the minimum required.  We can take another four though.....  :nod

Sin_Tiger

I'm a "possible" only  :^_^
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

fattyjr

Just had the old man on the blower and he's in.

does clive want a 885I tiger to play with on the day?  if so, let me know. 
98 tiger 885i, 2001 Daytona 955i, 92 trident/sprint 900, 98 trophy 1200, 96 trophy 900, 59 t120 bonnieville, 64 t120 bonnieville, 63, tiger t100s/s, 98 tl1000s, 07 Buell xb1200, 98 husqvarna sm610  x2, 81 husqvarna cr500, 84 husqvarna cr500, 98 xvs650, 90 sportster 883/1200 race bike. And a few more

Chris Canning

Blimey Bix are you starting to feel old bikers bringing their Dads with e'm  :icon_redface: me too mate :icon_rolleyes:

Bixxer Bob

Re the 885i,  will ask him.

Looks like we're good to go so I'll drop him a line and get a date sorted out.

trophydave

I've just been told that SWMBO has arranged something on 16 Jan so I cant do that day.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: trophydave on December 07, 2015, 06:16:48 PM
I've just been told that SWMBO has arranged something on 16 Jan so I cant do that day.

How do they do that  :^_^ happens a bit more frequently than I'd write down to coincidence.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

motoOzarks

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: motoOzarks on December 16, 2015, 11:28:53 PM
Wear a go pro please

No videos allowed  :nono this is his way of paying the mortgage after all   :icon_wink:

I've been up to see him today and chat through what he'll be doing. 

Valves / top end/ but prob not full eng strip

Sprags not really  a prob but 885 early 955 and late 955 have completely diff engines  so a mention about that.

Sagem system and setup would be covered  although on a Triumph tool not TuneECU (I went through this with him today on both and there are so many things the Triumph tool can do (in the right hands - which lets out many of the dealers ) that TuneECU can't that it's hardly worth the latter.  Although he will talk about (and debunk) a lot of myth and legend.

He'll also cover siezed brakes / brake judder / seized lower shock bearing / centre stand about to fall off / man faults on efi system / set up efi/ wrong hoses from iacv / damaged IACV / throttle bodies set up wrong / damaged coil connectors.

You may think "Well I already know most of that".  Trust me, so did I.  But I learned so much about what I was doing wrong, or doing the hard way, that it was still very good value.

The date he wants to do is 23rd Jan so I need a firm show of hands to be able to say yes or no in the next day or two.

Bixxer Bob

No sooner I write something than the goal posts move.  I have a date for my operation, which is early Jan, so I won't be fit enough by the 21st.  Clive needs my bike to do some of the Sagem work so I've just told him and am waiting to see if he still wants to go ahead or whether it would be better to leave it till later in the year.