News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tire cupping

Started by ssevy, December 07, 2015, 01:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssevy

Okay, so the tire does have about 14,000 miles on it :icon_redface:
Still, anyone evr see this type of cupping?

I may not be big, but I'm slow.

nickjtc

Yes. On my VFR800 with an original Michelin Pilot Road on it.

Assuming that you run correct tyre pressures, the tyres are balanced, there are no idiosyncrasies with the front end (wheels out of true, wonky steering head bearings et al) I wouldn't worry about it.

Especially at 14,000 miles under it.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

fishnbiker

I see that all the time on my machines (95 Tiger, Suzuki 08 DR650, 82 Honda Ascot) It's the result of using the bike vigorously; having a good time.

Time for new rubber, though.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

motoOzarks

some tires can be flipped but I think you are ready for some new ones just for smoothness.

not bad for your mileage
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

Bixxer Bob

It's the effect of braking wearing out the leading edge of each block.  My Blackbird does it after about 4k miles.  Result is a tendency to run wide in corners due to reduced contact patch.  Braking isn't seriouslyaffected because the tyre deforms under braking.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

:iagree same on a Vara with Anakee 1 and Steamer with Anakee 1 also. Not so noticeable with Anakee 2 or 3, changed compounds and latterly changed block pattern. Never seen it on Metzlers but they have a harder compound and I found not so good in the wet or precise for that reason.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ssevy

I only paid $79 for this Shinko, and it has been stellar with some seriously hard and fully loaded miles. The rear is also ready to replace at a bit over 10,000 miles on it. Really like these tires!

nickjtc

Quote from: ssevy on December 07, 2015, 08:28:05 PM
I only paid $79 for this Shinko,

Ooops, now you've let the cat out of the bag there are going to be a load of Shinko naysayers chiming in.

ssevy

Line em up. I may not be big, but I'm slow☺️

95tiger

Quote from: nickjtc on December 07, 2015, 09:49:32 PM
Ooops, now you've let the cat out of the bag there are going to be a load of Shinko naysayers chiming in.
no there won't

Bixxer Bob

Mustang's a fan of 'em.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

John Stenhouse

Does it on Girlies too, that's cupping not Mustang  :bad
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

nickjtc

Quote from: nickjtc on December 07, 2015, 09:49:32 PM

I'm wrong, of course, because it's the BMW boys and girls that seem to have a hate on for them.

motoOzarks

nothing beats a cheap pair of sneakers

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

nickjtc

Quote from: motoOzarks on December 08, 2015, 03:36:54 AM
nothing beats a cheap pair of sneakers

Indeed. If they do the job, who needs "name brand" anything??

Just like a perfectly usable (and DOT approved) "no name" helmet (as long as it fits correctly) for $100 rather than a $700 Arai................... Ooops, what have I started..??