News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Paris Dakar Steamer

Started by threepot, January 08, 2016, 08:54:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

threepot

Apparently ridden by Ivo Kasten in 98? Anyone know any info?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

nickjtc

"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

BruKen

Now I love my Steamer but he must have done that on a dare!  :bowdown

Bixxer Bob

I cannot comprehend what it must take to do the Dakar on a big heavy beast like the Steamer; but - there again - I cannot comprehend what it must take to do the Dakar on anything....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Dyn Blin

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on January 08, 2016, 05:59:38 PM
I cannot comprehend what it must take to do the Dakar on a big heavy beast like the Steamer; but - there again - I cannot comprehend what it must take to do the Dakar on anything....

11 years later that Czech was just as "adventurous" :  getting ready to crack the Ton on a Monkey replica:

Back to the Tiger Dakar run- There's a few pics and Ivo commentary on the "Desert Pistons" FaceBook Site

It wasn't the Tiger that stalled:  On the Dakar 98 bike worked perfectly, but in the eighth stage Zouerat - El Mreiti in Mauritania, the organizers had a lack of fuel for motorcyclist in the middle stage, the next 350 km sand only 20 lt for each. We did not want to risk and waited until morning. At this stage terrorist attacked the Czech trucks, so TSO had other worries than bringing gasoline to us. In the group, about 30 bikers returned in one week in Dakar city. Big adventure.....

I seem to recall somewhere they spent about $45k on that bike all-in...
This is why we can't have nice things.

Bixxer Bob

Watching the coverage last night on Eurosport, there's a French privateer called Sylvan Espinasse still running although well down the order.  He's on a 125cc 2-stroke Husqvarna.  Fair play to him  :wheel

He coped really well with the mud earlier in the week, but is screwed on the 150kph stuff they're into now  :5moped
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...