News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Feckin' Wheels

Started by silkie, January 14, 2016, 08:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silkie

Gents, I've got this Steamer. Sat in my shed for the best part of 2 years. I'm getting her back on the road but the long and short of this questions is that I hate the wheels.

The PO put some 17 inch rims on the original hubs. Thing is they are in a right state, the hubs seem to be furing up and causing paint to lift (that normal!?!?) and on the rims themselves I'm seeing some alloy type fur gathering around the spoke holes. Having spent a long bloody time trying to clean them up I've decided I quite fancy a set of mags of a Girly. Will these wheels slot straight in?

Should I be able to find some of course!

Hope you can help lads...  :icon_biggrin:

Mustang

short answer ............NO

but anything can be made to work ...............

the big obstacle will be speedo drive
the girlies use a magnet and electric signal to the speedo
steamers are purely mechanical drives
(good ol fashioned cable drive)

silkie

ahhh smeg, I'll just referb these the ones I have and dig out my old spokey dokies from my BMX.

So the hubs corroding surprised me to be honest. I knew the original rims rot out but the hubs? Is the hub rotting typical?

nickjtc

Quote from: silkie on January 14, 2016, 09:02:02 PM
So the hubs corroding surprised me to be honest. I knew the original rims rot out but the hubs? Is the hub rotting typical?

You must be a 'Red Dwarf' fan  :icon_wink:

Pretty much anything metallic (except gold, I suppose) will be affected by the nasty elements out there, to one degree or another.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

fraserdog

Quote from: silkie on January 14, 2016, 09:02:02 PM
ahhh smeg, I'll just referb these the ones I have and dig out my old spokey dokies from my BMX.

I believe 955i spoked wheels slot straight into a steamer and they have stainless spokes as standard.
1974 Honda CB500/4
1994 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Sin_Tiger

Corrosion on the hubs is usually just cosmetic, the original DID rims are another story  :icon_rolleyes:

If you decide to stick with the original set up investing in good quality replacement rims and stainless spokes is worthwhile, so taking the extra time to get the hubs cleaned and powder coated at the same time is small beer. If you want a different look you could go for a coloured anodised look with matching hubs.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint