News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Top Box lock replacement

Started by orange99, February 03, 2016, 10:32:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orange99

I've just won on Ebay an OEM Top Box for the Girly/Trophy etc but  the seller has just informed me that he doesn't have a key!

Before I withdraw from the sale is there an easy solution for this?
2011 Yamaha TDM900                                                   2018 Tiger Sport
2008 Yamaha XJR1300

JoeDirt

Sorry to say, there is no such thing as a standard key... the locks from the dealer will cost as much as a whole box. If it's the box I think it is, it has two locks. My advise is to lean on the  seller to find the keys. If not, get the seller to cancel the auction. The whole point of having one of those boxes is to keep people from stealing your stuff.

orange99

There won't be a problem ending the auction as he admits his mistake - the box has three locks and when I emailed Jack Lilley's parts desk this was their response;

"The locks can be removed from the locking clasps when the box is open. replacement locks (T2500114 box lock(3x locks with two keys) are £24.19  a set and available to order."

If it is that easy I'm willing to go ahead with the sale, but I'd like confirmation first - I don't want to have to drill out locks or pay for a locksmith.

2011 Yamaha TDM900                                                   2018 Tiger Sport
2008 Yamaha XJR1300

JoeDirt

The T2500114 is $40 dollars over on this side of the pond. I hope you are getting a deal on the front side of that auction. :icon_salut:

ds99

i have the original OEM top box and i prefer a givi monokey box ("55l maxia"), because faffing around with two locks on the OEM one is a pain, and it's easy to mistakenly leave it unlocked, whereas this is not possible with a givi one.

HockleyBoy

Quote from: ds99 on February 03, 2016, 07:12:44 PM
i have the original OEM top box and i prefer a givi monokey box ("55l maxia"), because faffing around with two locks on the OEM one is a pain, and it's easy to mistakenly leave it unlocked, whereas this is not possible with a givi one.

Not to mention the fact that Givi's are actually waterproof!
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

jp7rgv

I have the givi maxia 3 55lt and I confirm that is wonderful.
I have also installed the led brake light kit.

supercoupe1993

I may be late on this. But aslong as the OEM top box is unlocked when you get it, any locksmith can re-key it to any triumph key. My last 3 Triumphs i re-keyed all the bags to match the ignition. it isnt a big deal. to pull the locks it just takes a 7 or 8mm socket you can tke the locks/latches with locks to a locksmith. he can re key them easy-peasy.
If you cant find a locksmith to do it, i can put you intouch with one. Most of them are frightened when they hear "Triumph" but when they look at the lock, they are quick to do the work.

Chris Palmer
Ankeny,IA
2000 Tiger

orange99

Thanks Chris - yes it has come unlocked, so I need to get triumph blanks and a locksmith cuts them to match?
2008 Yamaha XJR1300

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: orange99 on February 07, 2016, 12:07:42 PM
Thanks Chris - yes it has come unlocked, so I need to get triumph blanks and a locksmith cuts them to match?

Better to get a proper locksmith to re-pin the barrel to match your existing key.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

supercoupe1993

No, a locksmith will key the top box to your current tiger key.

supercoupe1993

I have re-keying instructions, if you want to give it a shot.

Chris
1999 Tiger

orange99

Cheers Chris - that would be very helpful if you could send them along, much appreciated

Robin
2008 Yamaha XJR1300