News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

The Stripdown Begins

Started by Timbox2, February 07, 2016, 03:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

In preparation for the new Metal Fuel Fittings arriving in the next couple of days, I must be lucky, both came out complete. You can tell the new one the garage fitted just before I picked it up, and to be fair the other one didnt leak until it was disconnected, the valve was stuck.

Think I may have found the source of the less than perfect idle,  oh well, £40 a set apparently :icon_frown:

Be gone, foul thing

Another Aldi Bargain, £4.99 with batteries!!!

So, just gotta wait for a few bits, gonna put a new Chain and Sprocket set on while im at it, the front sprocket is seriously finned. This is what Ive missed, good ol fashioned spannering :icon_wink:
2016 Tiger Sport

John Stenhouse

Don't bother with Triumphs vac pipe unless you must have originality, just buy some silicon pipe from e bay.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Timbox2

Quote from: John Stenhouse on February 07, 2016, 03:55:58 PM
Don't bother with Triumphs vac pipe unless you must have originality, just buy some silicon pipe from e bay.

Thanks John, hadnt even thought that there was something aftermarket that would do the job, so this silicone stuff is ok with tight bends?
2016 Tiger Sport

JayDub

Don't bin the scottoiler... i'll have it! :nod

JoeDirt

Quote from: John Stenhouse on February 07, 2016, 03:55:58 PM

:iagree I agree... except I would buy some automotive fuel / emissions tubing. I use 1/4" I.D. without clamps.

- Sorry if you can't find that exact size in UK.
- Very common stuff here in USA. We call it "vac tube" here.  :icon_razz:

Quote from: Timbox2 on February 07, 2016, 04:57:17 PM
Thanks John, hadnt even thought that there was something aftermarket that would do the job, so this silicone stuff is ok with tight bends?

You are right, the vacuum tubing will be tight and pinch itself on the left throttle body (facing front). You will need to get a 90º elbow with barbed ends... to make the turn.

UPDATE: I originally had too large I.D. posted. The 1/4" (6.4mm) is the correct size for vacuum tube. :icon_redface:

Timbox2

2016 Tiger Sport

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Timbox2 on February 07, 2016, 06:58:37 PM
Its yours mate.

Faster than a rat up a drain pipe  :thumbsup and beat me to it  :icon_wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Timbox2

getting there, metal fuel fittings turned up today, (Ordered Saturday, pretty impressed)

All in position, just waiting for the ISCV pipes, yes I ordered genuine from Jack Lilley. That old chair fits the mounting cut outs on the tank exactly,couldnt believe it.

2016 Tiger Sport

JoeDirt

Quote from: Timbox2 on February 08, 2016, 07:18:18 PM
getting there, metal fuel fittings turned up today, (Ordered Saturday, pretty impressed)

Your fittings look really good. :thumbsup

Did you get metal elbows or are those just for your nurse tubes?

Dyn Blin

Quote from: Timbox2 on February 08, 2016, 07:18:18 PM

Small world- I have that exact high tech tank stand in Kindergarten Yellow!  After a mishap that resulted in a few scratches to my 10 year old no-longer-pristine tank, the legs are now bolted to a square of plywood, and bungee straps secure the tank through pass-throughs drilled in the back of the chair "tank stand".
This is why we can't have nice things.

Timbox2

Quote from: JoeDirt on February 08, 2016, 08:49:09 PM
Your fittings look really good. :thumbsup

Did you get metal elbows or are those just for your nurse tubes?

Bikes already got metal elbows.  I got plastic fittings for the extension pipes, didnt see any point in fitting metal to them
2016 Tiger Sport

Timbox2

Nice new Vac pipes turned up

This also courtesy of Chris, cheers mate( Brass Elbow)

I fitted the new vac pipes then started her up, blimey night and day difference, but checked the TB balance anyway which was as near as damn it so left alone. Then moved on to draining and refilling cooling system, which seemed very like water, no colour to it at all.

Then just before Chris phoned to check Id got the brass elbow, the fun suddenly started, out of the blue bike refuses to start, I disconnected the fuel extension hoses and then realised that the fuel rail didnt seem to have any fuel in it, puzzling, pump is definitely priming, but then I connected a hose to the feed and pointed it into a fuel can and cycled the ignition, barely more than a dribble, so looks like something up in tank, maybe a pipes come off or summit, dunno, ran out of time, round 2 tomorrow.

Off to get the stuff I forgot for Pancakes, in the doghouse. :icon_eek:
2016 Tiger Sport

aesdj

Quote from: JayDub on February 07, 2016, 06:26:08 PM
Don't bin the scottoiler... i'll have it! :nod

Don't do it mate. I seriously wouldn't EVER fit one to another one of my bikes. Had one on a Superdream and due to the pipe splitting it made that cylinder run weak and I didn't find out until I came to service it but by then the damage had been done (knackered rings). I use what's called a PDOiler. It's electrical, it's cheaper than the Scott and it can pump upwards so more options with fitting it. And I believe there's been issues with people fitting them to new bikes and then the bike manufacturer not honouring the warranty but you'd have to check that. Carn't remember were I got that from. BUT MY ADVICE IS DON'T FIT A SCOTTOILER.

Timbox2

Hmmm, just spent another half hour taking the pump plate off, nothing obvious. Then took the pump off itself and gave it 12v, it spins, very quietly mind,  but Im not sure its doing much, cant get any real pressure build up if I hold my finger over the outlet, but then air is air and not liquid??
2016 Tiger Sport

Sin_Tiger

Under EU regs they can't do that unless they can prove that is what's causing a fault.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint