News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

winter makeover for Darling (very long post with lot of pics) good reading

Started by klingklang, March 08, 2016, 04:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klingklang

Official spring will be in two weeks, bike's ready and waiting the snow to melt. I did a lot of work on the bike this past winter. I am proud of what I did and if it cant help or give idea to some them I will be happy.  Some will like some won't but it is normal. On a 16 years old bike, that I have for 11years and 125k on the clock, She, Darling like I'd like to call her, will certainly like it.  First I like to thank's all of you guys who helped me in some doubt moments or my ... say momentary amnesia....

First big things, changing the cylinder head. Bought used on ebay with 16K mile on it. Two intake valve was receding on mine at the point that no shims were available.

What the hell is that you will say.  Yup,  converted the clutch into hydraulic using a .750 cylinder (.250 shaft)  coupled with a 900 tiger (steamer) 14mm piston.  Perfect ratio, .410in of lineat travel at rod end and pressure to handle pull went from around 35pounds to 16.  Can't wait to try it on the road.

Changed the front rotor (special thanks to JoeDirt) fixed with new titanium bolds and new axle nuts too. When I received it I was impressed buy hoe thick they were asking myself it they could be wrong....buzzzzzzz  That was mine that were both front and specialy the rear wwaaaaaaayyyyyyy under specs.

Changed the rear too.  both FR and RR reciceived new SBS brake pads

new metal hose fittings. The others brokes apart very easily. they were due.... while there, I've changed the fuel filter, the pump screen and fixed my link pipe that weren't drilled like you probably saw on an another post. Late friday production...

welded back by case brackets. Crash last summer broke it.  As you can see, I did not went too far on the paint prejudice on this one.

Installed new handgards with homemade brackets.  you can see the 900 steamer cluch reservoir here

I brought a new and more convivial power source to the handle

Voltmeter/Thermometer. In fact it was already there. The only thing was the temp had red LED that you can't see under the sun. I bought an another one on ebay and took the green digits to replace the reds. If you like this, take note that it is good to unweld the thermistor and put a longer wire cable. Mine is relocated under the cowl in the clean air on the Heed bracket.  Note that all black plastic received a good two coat of forever black (or alike). The switch next, if you ask, is for my garage door

Brand new fender. Mine was broken and had the paint badly pitted. I will try to put some clear protection film on it like they do for car hood. Specialy on the side arm sections. And while there, my beloved Bertha, following and now spending her retreat in tennesse, had some kind of metal brace under the front fender.  Say to myself " why not s'ti"  ok this last word is french canadian slang... don't try to understand!

Bertha, Bertha,  even if that british girl, comming from nowhere broke our relation, you know, you will always be in my heart....you should cry here you audience!

Here, A lot of you won't understand.  I am getting old, probably getting back some reason,  but I have a TOR exhaust and started to distub me lately. So I made my homemade removable baffle.  Yup... I know, welding is not my strengh but it will work.  Decibel when down from 72-75 to 64-67db at idle tested with a phone app. look like the same range along the band.

Did some cleaning in the accessories wiring. Now they get their own fusebox and a practical control panel. Inscription done on glow in the dark tape with inkjet printer and covered with clear vinyl.

From now, the bike doesn't have a single incadescent lamp on it.   Dash done years ago, flashers a few years ago and last year, I replaced the headlight but replaced it again with stronger one this year.  Last was the brake, since dual intensity tail light bulb never satisfied me because they dont have much difference between the high and low, I did it my way.... I gave the "brake on" a little boost.  By the way, cleaning the headlights inner reflector, specialy if you go offroad help a lot to bring that light back

When I had that crash last summer, I broke my very helpfull and needed Hella comet 500.  Believe me, when your in the forest , where mosquitos are almost biggers that the bear I've saw... there  and the sun went down faster than you thought.  The only thing you dream at...it is your spot.  So I did some.  10 cree's xp-g2 on each. A bit over 5000 lumens each at full power (high) half of that on my low mode using a varable mode driver.  I've use a 16degrees lens pattern for a nice beam pattern. Add that to the supposed 4000lms (chineese specs) the headlights may have.  Like was singing one of my favorite teen group " Styx"  :  Give me the lights, precious lights , Give me lights.  ok, not the same meaning but who cares....

And finally beside cleaning, waxing, oil change and so and so.  Modified my bash plate to have a better fix to the newly installed Heed crashbar bought earlier last summer and realy, realy wished that a Taxi driver won't come out of nowhere to test them this time.

Now that I have mostly done, I open my garage door to see that it is still freezing cold, like 2-3 feet of snow on my house front.   Sad,   get back to the house, my wife looking at me  "who the hell are you"   hey , I am your husband, remember me.  " It can't, police dept ended the reseach weeks ago!  They told me thare was very minimum chance that we find you....   heu...honey...... did you ever noticed that some beverages were disappearing from the fridge?

the end

thanks for reading and sorry for my less than the best english but I hope a tad better than google translate...french canadian!

JoeDirt

WOW! I really like the hydraulic clutch and reservoir. That custom bash plate looks awesome.

Daiku

Thanks for sharing the good work and good story..... all inspiring to this new 06 Tiger owner.
Now:  '06 Girly, '83 Honda CB1100F
Then:  '78 Suzuki GS 750, '79 GS 1100, '01 Yamaha FZ1

Bixxer Bob

I always look forward to your posts Klang King, you're English is good, if a bit quirky but in a good way  :icon_lol:

You've obviously hd a good winter and that's a fantastic write-up, well done!

Like Joe, I love the hydraulic clutch, especially as I don't think engineering is how you make your living. That's truely innovative and I've not seen it done before; I'm sure it's given others something to think about. 

You're not afaraid to have a go that's for sure. :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

RumRunnerGuy

Great write up and great mods.  Where did you get the Wave rotors?

JoeDirt

Chris Canning

In another life Magura made a hydraulic clutch conversion for the 955

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

klingklang

QuoteWhere did you get the Wave rotors?
got the front from JoeDirt as you seen but there is some on amazon. That is where I pick up the rear.

QuoteIn another life Magura made a hydraulic clutch conversion for the 955
What I don't like from magura, but I understand they want an easy retrofit, that they use a very small master plunger 10mm or so and the slave is also mall and use a tiny shaft.  When it come to seal it is more prone to fail around a small diameter. I think the slave is also into a fix position, not allowing to move laterally to follow the clutch radius move which also put negative strength to the tiny shaft seal. That is why I did mine. I maybe wrong, time will tell.....

Sasquatch

Would love some more details on your hydraulic clutch mod.  Slave details, where one can buy one, etc.  Great work!
Sasquatch
adventurepowersports.us

Chris Canning

10 out of 10 for ingenuity but I'll take clutch cable every time just wish I could convert my 1100 and 1200 from hydraulics to cable,and my all sing all dancing XR comes with a cable clutch :icon_biggrin:

klingklang

finaly, the temp got over 0C this week and was able to get the bike to go work.  Clutch is sublime, so smooth,  need to train my brain to go smoother with the handle.  Wheather will be sub zero all this week again...sad...  but perfect because a have to fix an oil leak, look from the valve cover and a water leak too from what I see, is the radiator cap.

JoeDirt

Hey KlingKlang,

Can you break-out or give a details on how you did your hydraulic clutch. It would be nice to see a "how to" or a parts list. If you bought a kit or if everything was homemade... I keep thinking that this is something I would like to do to my bike.

Everyone else, please do not send me an endless list of expensive kits from the internet. That's just not how I roll...  :icon_rolleyes:

klingklang

brad1098

02 black-Lorna