News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel Tank

Started by kennyjd, March 25, 2016, 12:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kennyjd

Hello, Can anyone help with a petrol tank for my Tiger.

Mustang

a little more info needed........................

do you want replacement or ?

kennyjd

Yes  another tank would be usefull, The current one leaks from one of the inserts.and one insert rotates,

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: kennyjd on March 25, 2016, 01:29:09 PM
Yes  another tank would be usefull, The current one leaks from one of the inserts.and one insert rotates,

This is probably repairable, plenty of info and first hand experience / reports if you do a quick search. Look in the "How To" Sticky.

There is almost a 50/50 chance you will buy another tank with similar issues and there aren't so many about, shipping charges could make it an expensive gamble.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

kennyjd

Fittings? Orings? Pump Plate? Its a 855 carb model.

Bixxer Bob

So it is.   I blame the meds..... 
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

Quote from: kennyjd on March 25, 2016, 05:32:22 PM
Fittings? Orings? Pump Plate? Its a 855 carb model.
*885*  :augie

BruKen

You sound like my wife. She's 5'1 AND THREE QUARTERS. She's very insistent on the 3/4 as it all counts  :cp

ssevy

Sometimes 3/4" can make a big difference :nod
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

threepot

I had a leak around one of the threads on the tank. Cured it with a 2pack adhesive that stated it was oil and petrol resistant. Has held for 3 yrs now.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Mustang

Quote from: BruKen on March 25, 2016, 08:48:09 PM
You sound like my wife. She's 5'1 AND THREE QUARTERS. She's very insistent on the 3/4 as it all counts  :c
OCD  :mut

JayDub

Quote from: threepot on March 25, 2016, 09:39:38 PM
I had a leak around one of the threads on the tank. Cured it with a 2pack adhesive that stated it was oil and petrol resistant. Has held for 3 yrs now.
I did 3 on mine, use JB weld but use the marine version as its fuel resistant - a mate had a leak from one of the inserts on his and it sealed it... its an easy job if you follow Mustangs 'how to' thread.

kennyjd

Update on leaking tank and spinning insert, Finnaly got the fastner out of the spinning captive, But the leaking one will not be so easy, some previous owner/clown had obviously had a tight fastner and probably whacked it with his, impact transmitting tool and punched out the inside of the tank,A blind top hat insert will be set in with epoxy hopefully that will cure it.

BruKen

Good luck Kenny. Another vote for JB weld here but if the hole is too big you may need it professionally plastic welded closed and potentially forgo the captive nut.

Sin_Tiger

:thumbsup good news. Got to be worth a try, once you get it all cleaned up you will be able to figure out what you need, possibly a suitable size and shaped plug behind the threaded insert might do it.

As I'm sure you know, preparation, cleanliness and above all patience, not available in B&Q. Best of luck  :new_popcornsmiley
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint