News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

alloys for steamer

Started by hedgiesfu, March 29, 2016, 09:37:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hedgiesfu

i'm looking for suitable alloys for my steamer as i have went thru two standard rear rims with buckling one almost split and i got an ear bashing for using the rim at all :cp . so i need an alloy which will fit the stud and also hold the discs securely, any ideas?

Timbox2

You could try Triumphant in South Wales,  http://www.triumph-ant.co.uk/

hes done loads of 3 spoke ally conversions for Steamers
2016 Tiger Sport

hedgiesfu

sounds good timbox, i hope he's got summit in stock i'll give the lad a shout today

Bixxer Bob

There's a comprehensive write up by RF9 Rider on how he did his, and lots of other stuff if tou use the serch button.  Trophy wheels I think......
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

GavD

Any of the 3 or 6 spoke wheels drop straight in the back. The steamer sprocket holder will fit but you'll need a brake disc off the donor bike.

The front is a bit more complicated.
There is the Mustang way which involves some lathe work to make a couple of spacers and machine down the speedo drive a bit, and you'll also need to manufacture some brake caliper brackets. Go this way and you'll need a wheel, brake discs and speedo drive.

The other way you need some different yokes, fork bottoms, wheel, discs, speedo drive, wheel spindle and spacers, brake calipers, master cylinder and mudguard.

RF9 and Rybes have done it at some point and have written it up well. I did the full conversion but didn't post much about it as the information is already on here thanks to those guys.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

GavD

GavD

Quote from: GavD on March 31, 2016, 09:29:08 AM
And Mustangs method

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,7197.msg48662.html#msg48662

I originally did the mustang version with a 6 spoke wheel, then later did the RF9 version.

I still have the original kit in the garage, wheel with discs turned inward, brake caliper brackets, spacers and speedo drive. You can have them for the price of postage. No tyre on the wheel though.
PM me if you're interested.

hedgiesfu

Sin_Tiger

I think those are the ones Mustang used, he'll be able to confirm once the US wakes up. I've used National Triumph before, good to deal with.

I haven't got my lathe up and running yet or I'd offer to help with that. If you're not going to keep your old wheels let me know and we can talk about that later.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

those are the ones ............

keep in mind they are as soft as butter , they'll bend really easy if you go off road  :icon_redface: