News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Side stand

Started by kennyjd, April 06, 2016, 05:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kennyjd

Would someone be kind enough to advise me what should stop the side stand clouting the exhaust?

GavD

That'll be the little metal noggin that sticks down slightly in front of the footpeg on the bracket thing the footpeg mounts on
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

nickjtc

On mine I stuck a few bits of old inner tube to it to stop the "clonk".
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: GavD on April 06, 2016, 10:05:40 PM
That'll be the little metal noggin that sticks down slightly in front of the footpeg on the bracket thing the footpeg mounts on

Of it doesn't line up with that, you're stand is bent near the yoke, as most are  :icon_rolleyes: I wouldn't recommend trying to straighten it as I'm sure thats the first thing that'll go through your mind.

1 They're made of metallic spaghetti and you'll weaken it further.
2 If it's missing the stop but hitting the exhaust, somone has already tried to bend it lower down.

Save for buying a new stand. If you're able, weld a small tag to catch the stop  (don't put a lot of heat into it in one go) or find some thick wall rubber hose close to the 22mm dia of the stand, split a piece and cable tie it around the stand near the stop, not pretty but it works.

I'm working on a solution using higher spec spaghetti, coming soon  :sleepy1
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

kennyjd

Thank you to all who replied,!!

ssevy

Hey Sin,
A used Tiger I was looking at had an adjustable side stand on it. Never saw it in the flesh, and I never heard of another Steamer with one, but it seemed like a good idea.
Although the stand is soft, that cast piece it bolts to was harder than the hubs of hell when I drilled it.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Sin_Tiger

Interesting  :icon_scratch: Mine had an adjustable stand on it when I aquired it, bend, weld a stiffener, bend, weld on a bit more, repeat  :BangHead

:iagree the yoke is pretty hard steel, I hope I can weld onto it OK
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Earthscape

I had a local welder extend my side stand and make it adjustable length.  My suspension is raised about an inch, so the bike leaned too far over.  The added length on the side stand helps a lot.
2004 KTM 950 Adventure....1998 Triumph Tiger....1999 KTM 640 Adventure....1993 Kawasaki KLX650....2007 Kawasaki KLX350S....1996 Yamaha XT350

nickjtc

Good for you. Nothing worse than a bike leaning dangerously over, especially on a downhill slope. Don't ask.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Beernard

Very nice, Earthscape. Practical solution.
Ripper, woke up again.

ssevy

Looks pretty slick! It doesn't hit anything in the up position?
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Earthscape

It clears everything in the up position.  Note that I have the SW-Motech center stand instead of the Triumph version, which might stick out a bit more (swapped after years of grinding away the Triumph version, which makes me sound like a cornering hero, but if you've had one, you know how easily it drags; and incidentally, that was the reason for originally raising the suspension an inch).  I found that even at the stock height, it leaned over way too far (that's 'new and unbent side stand', too).  The SW-Motech center stand is far better.
I wanted to lengthen the side stand closer to the pivot, on the 'straight' part of the stand, but that would have required longer springs to match, which I didn't have a source for.  It was also questionable if it would clear the exhaust that way, so it had to be on the angled part of the stand.
2004 KTM 950 Adventure....1998 Triumph Tiger....1999 KTM 640 Adventure....1993 Kawasaki KLX650....2007 Kawasaki KLX350S....1996 Yamaha XT350