News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1999 885i questions

Started by cavi, April 17, 2016, 09:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavi

the 885i is new to me and I have a couple of questions.  First, I see alot of people talking about clutch cables and where to buy them and even the PO talked about all the bike needed was an extra clutch cable zip tied to the current one.  Do these bikes eat through clutch cables or something?
Second, the windscreen, Mine has a touring one and on the twisties at 70 it is fine, but on the hwy at 70 plus I do get some head shake.  On this forum I see both people going to larger screens and some cutting the current screens but no one mentions how much they cut them, which is the way I am leaning twords.  I did manage to find a used stock one and have it on the way.
Last all the bikes I have owned and even my current speed tripple to start it you pull the clutch then hit the starter, but tiger, you have to push and hold the starter then pull the clutch.  Is this normal?

Bixxer Bob

I have the zip tied clutch cable because I didn't wat to get stuck miles from anywhere, but I've got 37k miles on it with no probs.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

cavi

will the 955i cable fit the 885i??

Timbox2

2016 Tiger Sport

cavi

thanks, it amazes me just how many parts are interchangable.

KuzzinKenny

Screens  :icon_eek: the can O worms has been opened  :ImaPoser :ImaPoser

screens are a very personal thing, your height has a lot to do with it  :nod

mirror extenders can help a lot and puttin spacers between the fairing and the screen will let more air in and stop the vacuum that can cause buffeting. if its warm most O the time where ya live just cut the standard one down  :thumbsup there's loads O pics O screens to look at but try it first cos it might work for ya  :thumbsup

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Timbox2

The only screen options that seem to get consistently good reviews are the Palmer Products solution, and another very similar option favoured in the US called Madstad. Both use replacement brackets that move the screen outwards some to alleviate the issue KK talks about above but neither are cheap, close on £200.
As KK also says though its all very personal, my current Girly has got an MRA with the adjustable wing, but it aint great. I think I went back to a std Triumph Touring version on my last Tiger and although not perfect It was ok. Ive still got one of the cut down sport(Body Coloured) things in the shed. On an 80 Degree day it was ok I suppose, but that then leaves about another 364 days to contend with severe wind blast over here :BangHead
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

Always remember the first time I saw the Palmer offering  :bug_eye thought it was an april 1st spoof.

Timbox2

Quote from: Chris Canning on April 19, 2016, 11:37:50 AM
Always remember the first time I saw the Palmer offering  :bug_eye thought it was an april 1st spoof.

Know what you mean there Chris, like someone went mad with the Meccano
2016 Tiger Sport

cavi

Okay, looked at both the Palmer and the Mad, and I could probably live with the Palmer, but it is definitely pricey, and I am in Northern Ca and weather is not much of an issue.  What about making some spacers to place under the stock screen that would let more air pass behind it.  Not quite the Palmer, but better than stock?

Sin_Tiger

Spacers work for some guys. I might be corrected on this but the angle of the screws on the Girly screen makes it a bit tricky.

That I believe is why both Palmer and Madstad only sell a complete set with screen, both of them tried and failed to make something that can use the stock screen, unlike the Roadie and the Beaker.

I've had both and the Palmer probably has a bit more range of adjustment, they are both equally good quality. Both are decent guys to deal with, I worked with Madstad on a Honda bracket years ago, before Iain came to the scene and worked with him for the early Roadie kit.

They worked for me and many others are happy, but it's as personal as underwear.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

PeteH

No problems here with my clutch cable and 45k up now run some lube down it now and again tho, as for screens.. I had the standard one on mine for a while then tried the touring one that also came with the bike...sold that. Now have an MRA fitted and its ok but more importantly looks good..
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

tankerman

Quote from: PeteH on April 20, 2016, 01:46:24 AM
No problems here with my clutch cable and 45k up now run some lube down it now and again tho, as for screens.. I had the standard one on mine for a while then tried the touring one that also came with the bike...sold that. Now have an MRA fitted and its ok but more importantly looks good..

Sorry, I was going to add a facetious comment about the "more importantly looks good" part, but being relatively new, good sense prevailed!   

Sin_Tiger

MRA fitted and its ok but more importantly looks good..

Resident style guru  :ImaPoser
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JoeDirt

MRA fitted and its ok but more importantly looks good..

I agree they look good... but those top fins are very functional. :hat10