News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Auxillary power plug on 98 Steamer????

Started by tech141, May 04, 2016, 12:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tech141

Howdy Good Folks!  I just picked up some driving lights to mount on my 98 Tigger.  I have pored over the electrical schematics for the bike and haven't been able to find an auxiliary plug to hook them up.  Am I missing something?  I read 'somewhere' that there is a switched Aux plug on the harness, but have since brain dumped the source.
  If there isn't one, where have folks been hooking their aux driving lights up to?  I do have a few ideas, but don't enjoy 're-inventing the wheel'.

Thank You in advance for any info you can provide.

Mike
It's SUPPOSED to be dirty - It's a Tiger.

JayDub

There's no switched aux plug on a steamer AFAIK.
Mine are wired direct to the battery via a relay switched from the main beam circuit (high/low switch out-put).
I don't know what your vehicle regs are over there, but here aux driving lamps should only be on with main (high) beam

tech141

Quote from: JayDub on May 04, 2016, 11:00:34 AM
I don't know what your vehicle regs are over there, but here aux driving lamps should only be on with main (high) beam

We don't have the "high Beam" restriction.  I have always had my driving lights on whenever I was in the saddle.  The more Bright-Azz lights I have on, The more chance I will be seen by the cagers.  We still suffer from the "But Officer, I didn't see him...." excuse whenever someone takes out a motorcyclist.  I have always tried to do everything I can to remove the possibility of not being seen.

Have a Great Day!!! :wheel
It's SUPPOSED to be dirty - It's a Tiger.

JayDub

In that case Mike, instead of switched by the high beam circuit, take a switching feed from an ignition source via an on/off switch?

nickjtc

I use the headlight power source with a switch to turn them on and off. I like to be in control of when I have the extra lighting oomph, rather than having them on all the time.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Mustang

the absolute BEST way is with switched RELAYS

:*
run heavy gauge wire like 12awg from the battery (or to keep the battery terminals clutter free use the battery side of the fuse box feed ) to the newly installed relay #30
continue with the 12 gauge wire to the lights from #87
the relay is going to have 4 pins on it like this or similar

ignore where it says 12volt from headlight
this is your wire from switch , use 16 or 18 gauge wire for #85 and #86
feed your switch from anything nearby where you mounted it in fairing .
for example one of the 12 volt wires that go to the instrument lights works fantastic .
bada bing done

BruKen

To the board:

What is the W consumption of the bike vs alternator output? If I recall correctly there wasn't much spare capacity. May be worth the OP verifying before committing to an additional burden.

Mustang

It's got more reserve wattage than a girly   :bad

steamers have a 300 watt alternator or 25 amp

both headlights are sucking up 110 watts / 120 on high beam add another 50 or so for tail lights
that's about it for any significant constant wattage drain
I would'nt run electric clothing with aux lights at the same time
or blast 500 watt stereos from the sidecar

but the steamer can handle a set of 35 watt driving lights all day long .............................albeit they will dim down at idle with your foot on the brake  :mut

BruKen

Ah!  :>< One for the steamer then. HOWZAT!  :thumbsup

ssevy

I replaced my headlight bulbs with LED's and have LED aux lights as well. I run a heated jacket and gloves only, and have had no issues. I am interested to see what my voltage monitor is going to show me in real time once I have it installed.

Also, I love my Motobatt battery, as it has dual terminals, which makes hooking up accessories really easy and clean. Not sure if any other brands also have dual terminals, but it is a handy feature on an otherwise high quality battery.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Sin_Tiger

:iagree My expresso maker (I sh1te you not Sir) will dim the lights at idle unless I switch the heated jacket off, wouldn't worry about it.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on May 04, 2016, 08:08:25 PM
:iagree My expresso maker (I sh1te you not Sir) will dim the lights at idle unless I switch the heated jacket off, wouldn't worry about it.

Does it come with a cup holder too? :*&*

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

threepot

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on May 04, 2016, 08:08:25 PM
Do you have to turn up the idle when your frothing the milk? :augie
95 Super111
96 Tiger

nickjtc

Do you have a cooler on board too so that the latte milk won't spoil?