News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Horns not working. Where should I start?

Started by Danwarb, May 05, 2016, 03:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danwarb

Hi Guys,

I'm getting better with my bike mechanics but I just not very good with electrics.

I've got an MOT coming up but the horns aren't working.

Where would you suggest I start to resolve this?

Cheers,

Dan
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

nickjtc

Had the same problem yesterday. Make sure that the wiring connectors at the horn are not crudded up, and are in fact connected.  :icon_wink:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Mustang

buy a new set of them

it's the horns themselves that quit working

to prove it  just put a multi meter or even attach a light bulb to the horn wires and push the button if alls well the light will come on

Danwarb

Brilliant guys !

Ok I'll start there.

If I need to buy new ones where can I get them from?

:thumbsup
Black 1995 Tiger 885

BruKen

If there is a current try adjusting the tension on the cone centre nut, i.e. tune the cone tension. Dirt / corrosion etc can put them out of tune.

ssevy

I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Mustang

Quote from: BruKen on May 05, 2016, 04:43:46 PM
If there is a current try adjusting the tension on the cone centre nut, i.e. tune the cone tension. Dirt / corrosion etc can put them out of tune.
that never seems to work for long with any of the dozen or so triumph horns I've had that sound more like sick farm creatures than a friggin horn
I'll adjust , it sounds good then a few days later .......bleaaaaaat bzzzzzz nothing .
cheapest horns triumph could source obviously , pretty sure they are Nikko's

check ebay..................
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=nikko+horn&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xnikko+horn+triumph+tiger.TRS0&_nkw=nikko+horn+triumph+tiger&_sacat=0

Danwarb

Hi guys,

GREAT posts thank you.

If I was to replace them I see the Hella Supertones horns are loud how ever they only come with the red covers.

Are there any other horns you guys have experience of that are good and in black?

Cheers,

Dan
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Danwarb

Quote from: BruKen on May 05, 2016, 06:01:06 PM
Stebel Nautilus Compact horn

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-Nautilus-Compact-Loud-Horn/dp/B0067M6K7W

Make yourself heard  :bug_eye

BruKen thats NUTS !!

Thats massive ! I'm not going to fit that !!

Any other sensible options?
Black 1995 Tiger 885

London_Phil

I just fitted a pair of Fiamms from the ebays from a BMW in place of my originals, and with a little creative bending of the brackets, the fit in the same place. Much throatier and suggest a bigger vehicle.
If yours are FUBAR, you can have my original squawkers for the price of postage. They work, but in London traffic there a bit pointless against a sea of 4X4's

BruKen

Quote from: Danwarb on May 05, 2016, 06:12:38 PM
BruKen thats NUTS !!

Thats massive ! I'm not going to fit that !!

Any other sensible options?

Naw man. They're the dog's danglies. Plenty room under the fairings for one. I'd fit my boat's horns but they're too big. Thing about a bike's horn, if you ever going to be bothered to use them, and especially on a bike, you want whoever you are hooting at to sit up and take notice, otherwise, why bother? You got fingers to show ire and discontent haven't you?

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Danwarb on May 05, 2016, 05:35:42 PM
If I was to replace them I see the Hella Supertones horns are loud how ever they only come with the red covers.

Rattle can satin black.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Danwarb

Quote from: BruKen on May 05, 2016, 06:54:09 PM
Naw man. They're the dog's danglies. Plenty room under the fairings for one. I'd fit my boat's horns but they're too big. Thing about a bike's horn, if you ever going to be bothered to use them, and especially on a bike, you want whoever you are hooting at to sit up and take notice, otherwise, why bother? You got fingers to show ire and discontent haven't you?

Where have you fitted yours?

Is it easy to wire in and fit or do I need a special bracket?
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Danwarb

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on May 05, 2016, 10:39:07 PM
Rattle can satin black.

It's definitely a good idea though I wonder if they come part and reassemble well so I can just spray the covers?
Black 1995 Tiger 885