News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Horns not working. Where should I start?

Started by Danwarb, May 05, 2016, 03:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Danwarb on May 06, 2016, 11:34:51 PM
It's definitely a good idea though I wonder if they come part and reassemble well so I can just spray the covers?

Don't  :nono they'll never work right again if you do that, just trust me on this one  :icon_redface:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Danwarb

Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

nickjtc

You all know, of course, that we're barking up the wrong tree here. What we need to do is knock the baffles out of our exhaust pipes and make our bikes obnoxiously loud, all the time. After all "Loud Pipes Save Lives!!"  :qgaraduate

:*&*
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Danwarb

Black 1995 Tiger 885

JayDub

Quote from: Danwarb on May 08, 2016, 12:53:37 PM
Hi BruKen,

I'm thinking of going for what you suggest and buying this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUNDELY-Nautilus-Air-Horn-12-volt-139dB-Car-Black-Bike-Motorcycle-Truck-/281494975158?hash=item418a6872b6:g:bW4AAOSwn51UYutg

What do you think?

Is it fairly straight forward to fit?

:ear
Steady on there... you may be paying nearly double for the same thing;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152024716490?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

But as you were prepared to pay that amount then I'd be tempted to go for a more established brand name:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322036437406?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Danwarb

Quote from: JayDub on May 08, 2016, 01:23:38 PM
Steady on there... you may be paying nearly double for the same thing;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152024716490?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

But as you were prepared to pay that amount then I'd be tempted to go for a more established brand name:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322036437406?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Hi JayDub,

Thanks for this.

Will this horn be easy to fit?

I see the ends of the wires from the main electrical loom have those little sockets on them that slot on to the contacts on to the original Steamer horns. I'm sure it's not just going to be a matter of plug and play with this horn?

Can you think of any other options that might be better but still plug and play?
Black 1995 Tiger 885

London_Phil

Let me send my originals to you, for testing/ keeping if working??

Danwarb

Quote from: London_Phil on May 08, 2016, 04:07:34 PM
Let me send my originals to you, for testing/ keeping if working??

Hi Phil,

Your such a star. Thank you very much for your offer but I won't need them after all !

I found out that its the horn button that a bit dicky ! If press it to one side slightly it works fine !

:mut

I'm still interested to replace them for something louder though . . . 
Black 1995 Tiger 885

JayDub

Quote from: Danwarb on May 08, 2016, 03:35:44 PM
Hi JayDub,

Thanks for this.

Will this horn be easy to fit?

I see the ends of the wires from the main electrical loom have those little sockets on them that slot on to the contacts on to the original Steamer horns. I'm sure it's not just going to be a matter of plug and play with this horn?

Can you think of any other options that might be better but still plug and play?
I doubt they would come without a relay as there's a compressor motor built in which would use relatively more power, so would ideally need a direct feed (through the relay) so as not to overheat the standard wiring.  I don't know how much experience you have of auto wiring, but if you're unsure I would advise having someone who knows what they're doing fit it.  The alternative would be the electromagnetic type, which are usually plug and play but louder usually means bigger than standard, so that causes other problems as its often necessary to adapt or make up brackets, also there are different connections such as single or double spade connectors, and some even earth through the bracket - which you don't want.
I also noticed that the cheap one on ebay is advertised as being 139Db, but thats measured at 4 inches away, and at 1 metre its almost the same as an average horn at 115Db...

TBH, I saw one of the Nautilus style (they're no longer made btw) ones fitted to a bike on the r/h side of the engine, and it was huge... and ugly, 150mm x 110mm x 70mm I think.  You could hide it behind the cockpit fairing?
BMW and Audi cars have louder and also clearer horns, but again, you have to consider the size, the polarity, and that they have two connectors.

Danwarb

Quote from: JayDub on May 08, 2016, 08:43:29 PM
I doubt they would come without a relay as there's a compressor motor built in which would use relatively more power, so would ideally need a direct feed (through the relay) so as not to overheat the standard wiring.  I don't know how much experience you have of auto wiring, but if you're unsure I would advise having someone who knows what they're doing fit it.  The alternative would be the electromagnetic type, which are usually plug and play but louder usually means bigger than standard, so that causes other problems as its often necessary to adapt or make up brackets, also there are different connections such as single or double spade connectors, and some even earth through the bracket - which you don't want.
I also noticed that the cheap one on ebay is advertised as being 139Db, but thats measured at 4 inches away, and at 1 metre its almost the same as an average horn at 115Db...

TBH, I saw one of the Nautilus style (they're no longer made btw) ones fitted to a bike on the r/h side of the engine, and it was huge... and ugly, 150mm x 110mm x 70mm I think.  You could hide it behind the cockpit fairing?
BMW and Audi cars have louder and also clearer horns, but again, you have to consider the size, the polarity, and that they have two connectors.

Hi JayDub,

Thanks for your post here I've learned a lot.

I've decided to keep a look out for a pair in the same style as the originals but in better quality and louder. Something like these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-12V-Car-SUV-Truck-Motorcycle-ATV-Electric-Loud-Dual-Tone-115db-Horns-/111915153825?hash=item1a0ea9b9a1:g:fvIAAOSwe7BWzYNe

Saying this I've no idea how good they'd be till I fitted them.

Black 1995 Tiger 885

JayDub

You may have noticed that they are both the same tone? 1 Hi/1 Lo is more noticeable  :augie
(Psst... buy a well known make  :icon_wink: Hella ,Ring, Fiamm etc)

Sin_Tiger

Be wary, there are a lot of knock off so called "Stebel" around, everyyone I've seen comes with a relay but most are the same junk the horns themselves are made of. From my own experience, not measured, a good quality pair of two tone electromag horns are just as effective, the idea is to get noticed and the sound from a squeaky air horn doesn't always work IMHO.

I've fitted a few of these (Genuine Stebel), they are bulky, you will struggle to get a good location. Do NOT fit them to a crash bar or low down, they suck water just like they suck air and then they really are junk. I've fitted a couple by splitting the horn away from the compressor and fitting the compressor in a protected position but this may, by your own admission, beyond your current skill level. If you really must have an air horn then I'd stronly recommend buying a Denali Sound Bomb, that is designed with a split compressor and you have the brand backup.

For my money, a pair of Hella's fit into the stock location, properly adjusted will clear everything, draw no more current than the originals, and are effective at getting noticed. The supplied bracket might need a few mm ground off the bracket ends to allow adjustment, DON'T make other brackets, the supplied are multi layer spring steel, a solid bracket has a detrimental effect on the sound tone, don't ask me to explain that one. Don't be put off by the fact they are made in India, you'll be hard pushed to find an electromag horn or Tannoy type coil wound loudspeaker that ins't made in Gahndiland.

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Danwarb

Great post Sin thank you. You totally answered what I was looking for.

I'll add this to the list as well !

:thumbsup
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Danwarb

Black 1995 Tiger 885

Sin_Tiger

I'd stick with the disc ones, two reasons.

The reason for the horn in cars is that they're usually located inside the engine bay and need to direct the sound pressure waves outside, bikes don't generally have that problem so the "horn" is redundant.

The added bulk of the horn will probably give you problems positioning them so as not to foul the fork tubes or rubbing against the side panels.