News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

deeper than DAR?

Started by hedgiesfu, May 10, 2016, 03:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hedgiesfu

thanks to everybody for all the info thus far, i ask for it again

i took off the alternator to inspect for dar. there was no play in the mechanism and no alarming noises as i turned it round.
so i put it back on and went a tootle, drilling noises still present. i did however realise that the alternator is turned by a cog which seems to receive its drive from behind the clutch basket. could a foul bearing be in play?
is this the case and something worth investigating?

thanks in advance
picker of brains

GavD

Someone may confirm this but i think there are 2 possible reasons for DAR.
1. On the Alternator, the engine end of the shaft, the bolt holding the 4 finger drive plate comes loose and the plate rattles on the splined shaft.
2. The drive shaft from the clutch end into the alternator housing comes loose in some way. I think it's usually the clutch end bolt. I believe the earlier bikes had a shaft that had a bolt either end, and the later ones rectified the problem by have a nut and bolt that went all the way through a hollow shaft. There is a kit available to change to the later setup.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

hedgiesfu

i think you might be on to something with the latter cause there GAV
like i said, there seemed to be no play in the drive plates and the cush drive rubbers looked fairly new,
you've confirmed my suspicion with the clutch side of things.

tell me, above the clutch casing, behind the engine number, there is the housing for the alternator drive, in front of the housing are four torx head bolts, do these play a similar role to the cam retaining brackets? i.e holding the alt drive shaft in place?

GavD

'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

hedgiesfu

Turns out the drive chain was way too tight :rfl
Sound disappeared as soon as the chain was drawn forward
Thanks again for all the info troops
Steamroller says thanks too :wheel

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

hedgiesfu

cheers sin, i'm just glad i never buggered the gearbox bearing

threepot

Quote from: hedgiesfu on May 17, 2016, 11:55:49 AM
cheers sin, i'm just glad i never buggered the gearbox bearing
That was my concern when I had a 'whining' noise from that area a while back. Turned out the sprocket casing was full of crud,and the chain was running through it!
95 Super111
96 Tiger

nickjtc

Quote from: hedgiesfu on May 15, 2016, 01:15:46 PM
Turns out the drive chain was way too tight :rfl
Sound disappeared as soon as the chain was drawn forward

Been there and done that. Unfortunately it hooked the front sprocket. We live and learn!
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"