News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

885i two questions

Started by cavi, May 11, 2016, 05:59:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavi

first,maybe more of a rant than actual question.  I had a flat last week, put it all back togeather, and tried to adjust the chain.  got it close on the center stand, dropped it off the stand and tried it with me on it.  Too loose, back on the stand, move the ecentricals about 2mm and now it is too tight.  Is it really that tough to get the chain right?  2mm goes from too loose to too tight?  Am I missing something obvious?  Seriously?
, when dropping the bike off the center stand one of the allens that is the pivot bolt from the right side dropped off, so I put it back in fut it would not lock down.  Ideas?  Is there a longer one that would go through and be able to pit a nut on?  Find a allen screw with a smooth part and cut it down to fit with a nut?  Other ideas?

supercoupe1993

I am still trying to figure out the correct chain adjustment procedure. ..... If you figure it out, let me know. I am experimenting with a product called the "chain monkey". I will report back after a couple of adjustments.

As far as your center stand, those stubby allens are one of a kind. I don't think that there is enough room for a longer bolt. When i had to find 2 of those small allens , I had to have a machinist buddy make them for me. If/when my factory stand has issues, I will prob switch to a SW motech stand

Chris
2000 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

As Mustang has often said (more or less), you can measure the slack at 10 different points and get 10 different measurements.

I suspect if you put the Chain Monkey on at 10 different points you'll still get 10 different measurements.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

cavi

the hole goes straight through and there is plenty of room for a nut on the inside, any chance your machinest could make some more just add 5mm in thread length?

Dev_1

With the chain on the center stand I get it pretty damn tight, tighten the locking bolts a bit, and wiggle the chain till I get just a tiny bit more slack. Then fully lock the eccentrics down. After a couple times you get the hang of it.

I enjoy my SWmotech stand, though, with the bike lowered, it does scrape sometimes when I'm leaned.

I bought a 955i stand from ebay by mistake. Interestingly enough, the previous owner of said stand has found a way to improve the mounting hardware.

supercoupe1993

Changing both piviots to resemble the stand that Dev_1 has would be a much better bet then using a modified allen screw.
Next time i see my machist buddy i will ask him to machine  a few more for me, with alittle more length.

Chris
2000 Tiger

cavi

that would be fantastic!!!

cavi

Dev, two things.  From what I understand you are running your chain tight?  I have always run the chains on my bikes with about an inch play up to down at the mid point with rider on the bike.  Also, don't you find that once you take the bike off the stand and sit on it it gets tighter?  Every bike I have owned got tighter when the rider was on it.

Thierry

I just adjusted the chain of the Scrambler and yes, it is more tight once seating on it. 
"Did it go as planned? No, but it was part of the plan!

Dev_1

The chain should have 1 1/2" of play in the middle when you're sitting on the bike (so at its tightest). This is what I aim for. Upon checking my chain this morning, it seems it has slacked off a little on its own. I suppose the chain tends to put itself where it wants to be.