News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Some questions

Started by Kidtba, May 12, 2016, 03:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kidtba

Hi guys newbie in Gods Own Country (Scotland)had my first long haul on the Tiger 885i (2000) 600 miles in 3 days. Love the bike it has been lowered by turning the concentric thingies and the forks being done however I am still struggling with the height. So need some advice on a couple of pointers I will start with the easy stuff first and move onto the more difficult stuff as I get more comfortable with this bike. Please note my mechanical abilities vary from utter crap to complete disaster. On previous bikes engines have committed suicide rather than let me tinker.

I have read most of the posts so wont ask about heated grips. I have done a few searches and come up with some answers to some of my questions so wont bore you all with them.

I hate Evilbay but will use it but tend to find that my descriptions bear no relation to what others use as descriptions. So tend to try and use companies that I can speak to folk directly.

1) What is the best UK web site / company for spare parts.
2) Is there a decent attachment for the screen to add a couple of inches that you would recommend.
3) Has any body used this lowering kit http://www.lustracing.co.uk/suspension/triumph-tiger-900-lowering-kits.html if so how easy it to fit and does it make difference to the handling.

I already have a 2006 America that I love to bits and will never sell. It is a bit under powered for long hauls so decided the Tiger was for me and I can use the Tiger all year round the America has the typical crappy Triumph powder coating and chrome so it will also give me time to get it stripped and re-chromed and painted.

I cannot decide whether to be a good example or a horrible warning ! Peace & respect.

Timbox2

First thing I will tell you is those lowering links arent for your bike, they are for the earlier carb engined Tigers. The "Girly" Tigers dont have suspension linkages, the rear shock attaches directly to the swingarm. I dont think there is much more you can do than what you have done already, apart from maybe get your seat modified
2016 Tiger Sport

supercoupe1993

As far as your windscreen I would highly recomend Palmer Products. With their brackets, you can use almost any windscreen that you want to. I currently am running a windscreen from a 1970's goldwing fairing (cut down a little). I have also ran a vespa screen and a screen that i found at a swap meet for a few dollars.....
But you know, with my last name, what else would i recomend? as demonstraited by the atached picture, 2 out of 3 Tigers(in my group) recomend the Palmer brackets!

Chris PALMER (no relation to the Palmer Products people)
2000 Tiger

KuzzinKenny

Hey Kidtba !! Welcome to TT.com from the not so far east  :occasion14

nice pics BTW  :thumbsup

have a looky here......

http://www.triumph-ant.co.uk

and

http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk

the first one does used parts and squaredeals does new after market stuff  :thumbsup

as for yer seat, have ya had the seat off yet ? it can be lowered a bit as it has 3 height settings  :nod

just be aware when ya put the rear seat back on, if you dont hear a click it aint on and it will part with yer company when ya least expect it  :icon_eek: dont ask  :icon_redface: :augie

:wheel

KK

ps its hard to tell from that pic but are ya sure the concentric's have been turned to lower the back ??
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Kidtba

Cheers guys the seat is at its lowest setting and looking at them concentric thingies they are at the lowest they can go. So looks like need to bodge about with the seat a bit to try and get a bit more leg room :-). Thanks for the links will do some trawling about the speak nicely to the wife see if the purse strings can be loosened a bit for some of the parts that I want ....nay need for the bike.
I cannot decide whether to be a good example or a horrible warning ! Peace & respect.

KuzzinKenny

Hey Kidtba !! have a look at this pic and if yours is the same as, its not lowered  :icon_scratch:

try this one............

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-maintenance/chain-adjustment/

couldn't find any pics on here  :icon_redface: but the site was moved a few years ago and we lost loads
O stuff  :^_^

:thumbsup

KK

ps Tiggers like loose chains  :nod
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

cavi

picture would not open for me

JayDub

Quote from: cavi on May 14, 2016, 06:20:16 AM
picture would not open for me
copy & paste the link into the address bar, then press enter  :icon_wink:

Kidtba

Cheers guys checked and the wee alan key hole is sitting about 1-00 as you look at the concentric thingy so I don't think tthat will make much difference. Not to worry I will enjoy the bike any way just need to watch out for odd cambers on roads or pot holes :-) always been a problem being a short ass. Going to see a mate who does seat re covering see if he has suggestions for lowering the seat a wee bit. The seat does get a bit ouchy after a couple of hours. So Hope he can remove some of the padding and reshape it slightly to take a gel pad

Mustang

Quote from: Kidtba on May 16, 2016, 03:01:59 PM
Cheers guys checked and the wee alan key hole is sitting about 1-00 as you look at the concentric thingy so I don't think tthat will make much difference.
you coudn't be more wrong
if the allen key holeis at 1 oclock you'll drop over an inch or more when you rotate the eccentrics 180 degrees .
pull the fork tubes up thru the yokes about an inch and you will have successfully lowered your tigger about an inch and a half
doesn't sound like much but it works tremendously  :nod

Sin_Tiger

:iagree don't waste your time looking for more reach by screwing with the seat packing. You'll drop the ride height OK but won't get any better reach because the width of the frame will force your legs wider so it can actually make it worse. Not only that but your knees will be bent more, unless you have some super Mustang pegs  :icon_wink: If you do decide to get it reshaped, getting a bit more support for your hips seems to work best for most folk.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Kidtba

Quote from: Mustang on May 16, 2016, 08:41:44 PM
you coudn't be more wrong
if the allen key holeis at 1 oclock you'll drop over an inch or more when you rotate the eccentrics 180 degrees .
pull the fork tubes up thru the yokes about an inch and you will have successfully lowered your tigger about an inch and a half
doesn't sound like much but it works tremendously  :nod

I would never have thought it would be as much as that....seems strange as it looks like it would only be fractions that it would drop by. Well guess I will have a go this weekend at this many thanks much appreciated.

Mustang

if you rotate the eccentric rings be sure to add a spacer and longer bolt to the rear chain guard mount as the sprocket will rub when you lower it otherwise

Kidtba

Cheers guys been out playing and having fun. So not so much time to get on line. Lowered the bike front and back ...not only am I not doing the tippy toe shuffle, for some reason not sure if it is a mental thing seems to handle in the corners a bit better. Added a top box and found You can load the bugger up and it makes sod all difference if anything seems to be the more stuff you add the more stable it gets ....

Only problem is now that the center stand is almost impossible to get the bugger onto. So what is the general consensus. Regarding center stand eat or just eat more Weetabix and cut the rolls and bacon. The bike seems a bit too vertical on the side stand so is it work shortening or replacing with another shorter stand.

Keeping my eye on E-bay for bits and bobs but some parts are rarer than rocking horse sh*t. But seriously enjoying this bike took it for a wee run along a beach and at slow speeds a bit wobbly but get it opened up and it came alive. That was big grin time.

JoeDirt

Quote from: Kidtba on July 20, 2016, 04:13:09 PM
Cheers guys been out playing and having fun. So not so much time to get on line. Lowered the bike front and back ...not only am I not doing the tippy toe shuffle, for some reason not sure if it is a mental thing seems to handle in the corners a bit better.

Your center of gravity is lower... it will handle corners better. :thumbsup

Down side is that your pegs will hit the road easier.  :icon_sad: