News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

The long road of taming my Tiger

Started by P3aK, May 22, 2016, 05:38:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

P3aK

I did not look at any of those things. But I did tug gently on the chain and it wouldn't move much at all. So I figured it was all good.

I can't see how this would have changed.
It ran very well before it stopped. Although extremely hard to start.  Would the cam chain have gone out of spec just like that when it stopped running? Or me shimming the valves took it out of spec?

It feels to me like I've jetted the bike for bad valves and now that they're fixed,  I need to jet it for good valves. But I have no idea what fixing the valves actually does. Allow more combustible material into the cylinder?
Triumph Tiger 900 -98

Mustang

your barking up the wrong tree if you think the jetting did this ............................. :nod

Sin_Tiger

Did you take the cam chain tensioner out? The chain can drop off the crank sprocket very easily, I'm with Mustang, check it again.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

P3aK

Alright, so I'll leave the jetting as it was and back to 1 3/4 as it used to be.

I had to abandon the project and go to work. Don't know when I can pick it up again. Sigh, was supposed to have the bike every day now. Back to commuter trains. :BangHead
Triumph Tiger 900 -98

Sin_Tiger

Hang in there, riding a train give you time to  :icon_study:  :icon_wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

P3aK

Yeah thanks!

Btw, no I didn't touch the cam chain tensioner either.
Triumph Tiger 900 -98

threepot

seeing as you want to reset the carb screws,I would re check shims,take cams out and re fit new spring in tensioner,and new chain? 54k..it might be due? Then check upper and tensioner guides. I found a crack in the upper on my Daytona,cost me £20 odd,but may have saved my engine? Morse chain available on eBay for £45,and new spring and washer about £15. So easy to set timing on the engine with a new chain! Then you'll have peace of mind  :icon_wink:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Mustang

if it doesn't look exactly like this ........................
you either are 1 tooth or more off
or the chain stretched
if the chain stretched you'll know because it will be impossible to line up the three marks

the chain stretch would have affected performance gradually though ................NOT ALL AT ONCE WHEN I SHIMMED MY VAVLES (there's a hint in that statement somewhere  :*&*)
here's another hint :  :icon_wink:
Quote from: 97steamer on January 13, 2012, 05:01:19 PM

At one point I was so focussed on getting the timing marks correct, I didn't notice that the cam chain had fallen off the crankshaft sprocket. It was only because the chain looked slightly saggy across the cam shaft sprockets that I checked everything again.

but if indeed the chain is stretched :
do as threepot suggests and don't forget NEW chain guides(front and rear)

threepot

My bike was running really well before I changed the chain. So I was surprised how much the chain had stretched compared to the new one! And my tensioner was hardly under any tension!! So I agree with Mustang. You might not notice it..?? Until it goes bang!! :icon_eek:
There is no recommended time or mileage interval to change a camchain? Although I've been told every 30k?Its just one of those things you need to check from time to time?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Bixxer Bob

Mine's a 955 but principle is the same.  Mine jumped a tooth even though I was really careful.  I'd double check the alignment.  Also, as Threepot says, if the arrows don't all quite line up that's an idication of chain stretch. Although chain stretch isn't your current problem it can affect whether you do in fact have the sprockets in the right place.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

P3aK

Hmm, yeah I'll have to take a look at this. Sadly nothing is gonna happen for at least 1.5 weeks. Doing courses at work.
Triumph Tiger 900 -98

fishnbiker

Recently I was the lucky ebay winner of a Corbin seat for the Tiger. I received it today and got to try it out since the Tiger decided to wake up from hibernation. First impressions: This will NOT work. The recesses for the butt is waaay to far back. I need another 10cm of arms to reach the handlebar. I usually sit against or close to the tank. With this it's a good 15cm of seat between me and the tank. And it's A LOT wider, I could get one flat + the toes with stock seat. Now it's barely toes on both sides (I'm 180cm, so average height). I also seem to slide on the seat cover with my mc pants. When I yank the throttle hard I'm holding on for dear life to not fall off the bike. It's right out dangerous!
I'm very frustrated and hope to talk to someone tomorrow about rebuilding it... I wonder how broke I will be after that discussion?

I'm 183cm. My Corbin works wonderfully with Mustang's lowered footpegs & 2"/50cm ROX Risers. A sheepskin cover helps keep my butt from sliding around.They can be configured many different positions (front/rear) to find the best comfort. No cable or wiring changes, just some re-routing. If still an issue, there is the lowering process ... transposing the axle cam to lower the rear 40 mm, & raising the forks about 25 mm in the triple clamps. This gives a bit less ground clearance, but only really an issue if riding on rough gravel/single tracks.

Some pix of my mods here ... https://fishnbiker.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Felix-The-Tiger/
More photos available too.

I also see no left hand pipe. Taken off for working, or some exotic plumbing?
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

P3aK

I've been looking through your pictures many times fishnbiker :icon_biggrin: I like your setup.

Perhaps I don't have enough butt, I'm rather skinny. A sheep skin won't be enough. The seating area needs to be some 10-15cm forward for me to get close to comfort. I spoke with a friend of a friend who customizes mc saddles and interiors for old muscle cars. It's not worth destroying this one to change it. So I will sell it and take a stab at changing the OEM saddle instead.

Which reminds me: Corbin saddle selling for £120+Shipping (which I bought it for) up for sale. I'll have to post up some good pictures in the selling thread when I get back to the bike.

Mustang pegs is on the wishlist, just need to make sure the thing runs properly before I add more stuffs. Don't want to invest if it's going to the scrap heap.

I already have some type of raisers that came on the bike,  but I got no clue as to which ones or what handlebars I have.

Ideally I don't want to lower the machine, 1cm off the saddle is enough and if I customize it to my liking I'll have just that. My pet will hopefully get to taste some gravel and single tracks when it runs as it should. So I want to keep that clearance.

No left hand pipe, it's got a very exotic full 3-1 Motad exhaust system (courtesy of Nick Calne). So I will put a tool tube on the left side eventually to fill up that gap.
Triumph Tiger 900 -98

threepot

fishnbiker...some great photos there :thumbsup Steamer looks great!
95 Super111
96 Tiger

fishnbiker

The idea of the sheepskin is not just padding, but to keep your butt from sliding & some insulation in heat & cold. The risers can be pulled back a long way, allowing you to sit further back. Tilting the bars back helps also. To reach the ground you could just slide forward only as needed to where the Corbin is much narrower.

Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE