News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

TT 2017

Started by GavD, May 23, 2016, 09:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GavD

Chaps,

Me and 3 or 4 mates are looking to go to the TT next year. Accomodation seems very hard to book, even a year in advance. Anyone got any good tips, or possibly used somewhere in the past?

Cheers. :thumbsup
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Sin_Tiger

I just got a place for the 2013 (yup the only year the senior was cancelled) booking 15 months in advance, good luck.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bigfeesh

Rugby Club Campsite, very good  :thumbsup
Tiptop

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Bigfeesh on May 24, 2016, 11:36:50 PM
Rugby Club Campsite, very good  :thumbsup

If that's the Douglas one I'd agree; cheap and cheerful and an easy walk to the seafront pubs at night.  The cut down to the front isn't lit at night though so a key fob torch is needed at the very least.  I did it completely in the dark once,  not funny.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

GavD

Not a massive fan of camping, last resort option that one.

Sin_Tiger

Is that the passage that goes up the banking between the two hotels?  Scary in either direction.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Don't think so Sin,  it's at the north end after the road branches off up the hill.

The path is in Summerhill Glen, this is the entrance:

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

GavD

Well,

after a lot of emails and phone calls we've got a nice little trip sorted.
Friday before race week 11.30 crossing from Heysham.
2 nights roughing it in an old school hall on camp beds, then 7 nights in a Douglas B&B.
Sunday 07.30 crossing back to Heysham.

A first TT for me, Mo and Richard, and a few weeks after my 50th.

365 sleeps to go!!!!

ghulst

I'm considering visiting the TT. I've always understood that the biggest problem to get to the TT is the ferry crossings. ;)
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Sin_Tiger

Glad you got something sorted out GavD  :thumbsup

They put extra sailings on during the month, I went via Larne in Northern Ireland but my nearest port is no longer operating  :^_^ so I might as well go from one of the English ports. I think accommodation is now the biggest issue as per GavD's experience.

GavD

Quote from: ghulst on June 04, 2016, 09:47:36 PM
I'm considering visiting the TT. I've always understood that the biggest problem to get to the TT is the ferry crossings. ;)

The steam packet company announced about a month in advance the date that the crossing would go on sale. This year it was 30th May. I think you have to be onto it straight away to get a reasonable time crossing. 2 of us were trying online, just kept saying the booking system was busy, the phone was constantly not available. After a couple of hours we emailed them and they got back to us pretty quick saying what was available on the dates we wanted. They wanted addresses of all travelers to take the booking.
We thought we had some decent crossing times until the reservation came through saying that we needed to be checked in 2 hours in advance!!! So the 07.30 crossing coming back now means we have to be up before the bloody birds are  :sleepy1

ghulst

Hahahaha, I'd need to look into that. Sleeping arrangements are not going to be a problem for me. Getting there will be. ;)
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

nickjtc

So I take it with all of this talk about TT 2017 that a trip over to this side of the water is out of consideration?   :icon_lol: :icon_lol:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

GavD

GavD

Quote from: nickjtc on June 06, 2016, 05:44:07 PM
So I take it with all of this talk about TT 2017 that a trip over to this side of the water is out of consideration?   :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

It's only a few of us Nick, and in all reality, none of us are in a position to come 'a visitin' anyway. :icon_cry: