News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Girly Running Hot, Stat replacement

Started by Slug Rider, May 31, 2016, 05:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slug Rider

Seems pretty straight forward but does anyone have a video or can they upload the photos from a repair manual on replacing the thermostat? Been meaning to get around to it and she's starting to run hot, also details on flushing any air bubbles. I'm coming from an air cooled thumper so the tiger is a little bit more of a challenge. (rad cap was replaced to Subi cap already).

JoeDirt

You'll need to remove the gas tank to get at it. The thermostat housing sits on the left hand side just above the cylinder head. You'll recognize the small radiator cap on top (see image). You can unhook the hoses and electrical connector fairly easily. You may want to drain some of the coolant but it is not necessary to drain all of it. The whole housing is removable and can be taken apart more easily on a workbench or table. The housing should split down the center and the thermostat is #3 on the exploded assembly. One more thing, there is an o-ring at #7 and may or may not need to be replaced. The thermostat will set you back about $50USD.

I bought the whole housing with a thermostat from a low mileage bike from eBay for the price of a thermostat from dealer. But, I am cheap and have a lot of time debuggin'. :thumbsup

Timbox2

Yep, Ive just replaced mine, as above, pretty straightforward. Ive never had any issues with air locks, Ive always adopted the fill VERY SLOWLY, and just wait until you get coolant at the bleed screw, maybe just squeezing the bottom hose every now and then. And remember, only fill the expansion bottle to just over the MIN mark no more.

Here is a pic of my old and new stats, and the housing, I replaced the O ring seal with a new one just to be safe but looking at the old one it may have been re-usable.
2016 Tiger Sport

Slug Rider

Thanks, seemed pretty straight forward but last time I took the gas tank off to replace the rad cap I was having some trouble disconnecting everything from the gas tank! The diagram makes me feel a lot more confident thanks!