News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Urgent: Bike died suddenly while driving

Started by Aeschere, June 06, 2016, 06:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aeschere

Hello,

Driving on the highway my bike suddenly turned of the engine. I suspect the oil. What kind of oil do I need to fill it with? Haven't memorized it yet :s

Thanks in advance!

Mustang

the oil has nothing to do with the bike suddenly dying ..............
unless it's completely empty then it will sieze up and become a useless pc of $hit.
the only thing that kills it is no fuel or no spark
does it start back up after it sits ?

Aeschere

Then I am guessing no spark since the fuel is almost topped of and it died suddenly instead of shockingly when deprived of fuel.
Just waiting for the road mechanics now. Let's see what he finds.

Sin_Tiger

1 euros worth, if it just died without so much as a splutter then suspect the igniter pick up. If it coughed and stuttered it's fuel starvation. Were you on main fuel tap position? Try running on reserve tap position.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

London_Phil

Electrikery issue?, blown fuse, failure of sidestand circuit or kill switch. Ignition switch.
Hope its a simple one, they cough and splutter a lot it seems, but a sudden engine stop is unusual, imho.
Whats the latest?

Aeschere

It was a long night of waiting. In the end me and the bike got brought home by a tow truck...

I was running on main but had filled her up just 50km before so plenty of gas left. It also didn't stutter as when it is starved but just died without warning.
After waiting about 1-1.5 hours before the roadside mechanic showed up the bike started first push of the ignition button so besides checking if the battery was charging, he couldn't do much. He suggestes to take it for a drive with him following behind me. After about 500m we drive up to a traffic light, I shift down to second gear, let it roll a bit and accelerate when it turns green (not hitting a full stop) that's when the engine died again.
The mechanic mentioned that he saw quite a bit of black/blue smoke coming from the exhausts when I hit the throttle. We try different things and notice that when it its running idle and you open the choke it first comes down in revs instead of going up. If you slowly open the choke you can eventually get it to run on higher revs but no more then 3k.

It seems like there is something wrong with the fuel mixture but what it is and why this is happening without any chances is beyond me. The one thing that did change that day was that I adjusted the idle speed a bit. It was running on about 1500 and I turned it down to 1000 but that should only affect how it runs on idle and the carbs should take over when you drive.

Any suggestions on where to look? Good thing is that I have a holliday next week :)

JoeDirt

Quote from: Aeschere on June 07, 2016, 07:36:03 AM
The mechanic mentioned that he saw quite a bit of black/blue smoke coming from the exhausts when I hit the throttle.

I am not being a smartass... is there any chance they sold you diesel fuel?  :^_^

Regardless, I would siphon your tank and use that gas in your lawn mower.

Aeschere

Euro 95 and diesel are well seperated and since I filled it up myself I am sure it was Euro 95. They might have switched it in the main fuel supply though but I guess I have to watch the newspapers then since it lies right besides the highway and I shouldn't be the only one with wrong fuel.

Is there any way you can check if it is diesel?

JoeDirt

Quote from: Aeschere on June 07, 2016, 08:12:02 AM
Is there any way you can check if it is diesel?

Pour out a small amount... if you can't light it with a match... it's diesel.

Please do not try this in a structure... and be very careful.  :kboom

threepot

You should be able to smell diesel?? Easy to drain some fuel out to check? A friend filled his ER6 with it. Amazingly it still run,although like shit mind you! Depends how much petrol was in prior if you have?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

Keep a sample and your fuel receipt just in case.

Time for the carbs off.  :new_popcornsmiley
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

GavD

If you find it's not diesel in there, that's classic pick up coil symptoms.
Runs for a bit, gets hot, dies, cools down, runs for a bit, dies and so on and so on.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Aeschere

There are several suspects that I would like to check. I am hoping to get started with them this weekend and/or next week. If you can think of anything else, let me know.

- Clogged air filter. Drain the box and/or replace the filter
- Check tank and carb filters again. Replace internal tank filters with external fuel hose filter.
- Check wiring. Perhaps a loose/rusted connector is affected by heat, expanses and is loosing connection.
- Check cooling system, refill the fluid
- Check pick-up coil

Anything else I might be forgetting?

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

Mustang

Quote from: Aeschere on June 07, 2016, 05:56:13 PM
There are several suspects that I would like to check. I am hoping to get started with them this weekend and/or next week. If you can think of anything else, let me know.

- Clogged air filter. Drain the box and/or replace the filter
- Check tank and carb filters again. Replace internal tank filters with external fuel hose filter.
- Check wiring. Perhaps a loose/rusted connector is affected by heat, expanses and is loosing connection.
- Check cooling system, refill the fluid
- Check pick-up coil

Anything else I might be forgetting?
yes , your list of things to check is ass backwards .......................start at the bottom , I bet you won't have to do any more checking , and BTW 99 times out of a 100 the little fucker will check out just fine cold at .6 ohms , so replacing it is the only way to know it went tits up.