News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oil change: filter wrench size and other idiot questions

Started by Revilo, June 15, 2016, 09:34:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revilo

Hi All

I'm trying to get more mechanically competent: yesterday I successfully put new brake pads in under the watchful eye of a friend who is an excellent bike mechanic (ex-engineer).

Next project: oil change *all by myself*!

So I know I'll need new sump drain bolt and washer + 4 litres of 10/40 oil + new filter.

Am I right in thinking that some filters have different external dimaters, so a wrench that fits around one might not fit another?  If so, I guess an adjustable tool would be good.

Finally any tips on which parts to buy?  A magnetic nut or not?  Fully synth oil? Are some filters better than others?

THANKS 😀

Revilo

Bixxer Bob

Good to see you're having a go and thinking about what you're doing.  Oil filters do come in various sizes that's why most wrenches are either chain or rubber strap.  but the Tiger filter is a bit harder to get at so I just use an old setof pipe pliers on their widest setting.  Mny filters have a hexagon moulded into the top so you can use a socket.  Best thing to do is crawel under there, familiarise yourself with the filter and drain plug and then get what you need.

You don't need to replace the drain plug, just the washer.  These days they're usually aluminium but if it's an old copper one, and you have a gas torch, just heat it up till it's cherry red and then let it cool normally.  That'll soften it up enough to re-use.

Any filter from a reputable maker will do, just be a bit wary of cheapos from Ebay.

Triumph recommend fully synth.  They used to say Mobil One but these days I think they've switched allegiance to Castrol. 

A manual is a good idea.  Factory if you can get it, Haynes otherwise.  The Haynes covers all 955i engined bikes so is a nightmare to read but other than that it's good enough.  And if you're new to spannering a Haynes is a good way to get to know your bike.  Just reading about the various servicing procedures introduces you to new terms etc and with Google it's easy to look up anything you don't know.  Plus their wiring diagrams are way better than the factory version.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Revilo

Bixxer Bob

I had it mentioned to me that to anneal the washer and soften it, it should be quenched, but having researched it, either way will do.   
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

iansoady

Quenching has the advantage of getting rid of scale.

I never managed to get anything on my Tiger's oil filter except the proper removal tool as there wasn't room in the recess for pipe pliers etc.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bixxer Bob

Revilo

Latest news: I did it!

So far, so good . . .

Thanks everyone

:wings