News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Knocking at speed

Started by Revilo, July 23, 2016, 09:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revilo

Hi all,

Got a 2005 Tiger 955i with 40k miles on the clock. I've not had it long and love it but I've noticed a noise from *down below*!

The noise is a sort of rumbling knocking vibration that begins around 45mph and worsens till 55mph when it either levels off or drops a bit (I can't tell as wind and road noise also drowns it out over 60mph).

It seems to be coming from the left hand side, maybe the chain drive sprocket area.

I wondered at first if it was my luggage knocking (I usually have a fly fishing rod in a tube strapped to that side) as that what it sounds like: a rather random knocking noise. But it's still there with the flapping baggage gone.

The only thing that worries me is that I accidentally over-tightened the chain (did it while off the bike and forgot to factor in any slack for my 285lbs weight and suspension travel :-( ). I ride it for a couple of days like that with a v tight chain and hope I haven't done any damage.

The noise is speed not revs related and is worrying me.

Any ideas? Or is this normal? Performance, handing, fuel use etc all seem unaffected and its riding fine. But I know knocking noises can be bad news -- and expensive

Thanks

SteveFord

Retorque the countershaft sprocket nut and see if that does it.

Revilo

I think I'll get a new chain and two new sprockets

Thanks!

metalguru

Check the rubbing strip fitted to the front of the swing arm, it is possibly worn out at that miles.
When fitting the new chain/sprockets, if you can tie up the swing arm so it is straight and not sloping down from the engine sprocket end. This can be acheived with a ratchet strap or similar, then set chain slack and check for any tight spots. This is safest way to get adjustment correct as it is critical on these bikes.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.