News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

oil light on after rebuild

Started by beefos, August 07, 2016, 06:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beefos

After fixing the sprag the bike is nearly there.
The good news is it started very easily, the bad news is the oil light stayed on......!
I only let it run for about 3 seconds as I was watching for the oil light.

Any suggestions on fault finding?

tankerman

Take the plugs out and spin it over on the starter. See if the oil light goes out then. Also check wire connections.

beefos

I did turn it over with the plugs out and the light stayed on. I thought it maybe wasn't fast enough hence I put the plugs in and fired it up.  Pulling the wire from the sensor the light turns off so there must be continuity in the wiring. I did check the connector is fully home.
I remember a Triumph mechanic tell me some time back that he uses  a bung to help the pump build pressure after a rebuild but can't remember where he put the bung or how it worked...

Sin_Tiger

A positive displacement pump with a positive supply of oil will build pressure pretty quickly. I hate to say this but I think you've missed something or knocked something out of connection/alignment  :BangHead
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

GavD

Or it's a dodgy oil pressure switch, think I'm on my 3rd or 4th now.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: GavD on August 08, 2016, 01:34:44 PM
Or it's a dodgy oil pressure switch, think I'm on my 3rd or 4th now.

True,  easy enough to check with a bit of air pressure.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

beefos

I didn't remove the sensor during the rebuild but I suppose being exposed to the atmosphere and moisture could have damaged it.
How would I check this? Pump air into the crankcase breather? 

Sin_Tiger

NOOOOOOOO  :bug_eye take it off and do it on the bench. Too much chance of damaging seals.

beefos

Ok Ok ..  :)  It is on top of the crankcase so looks easy enough to take out, I shall try it tonight when I get home

Mustang

sprag clutch repair you say ?...................................

guess what drives the oil pump ?

any guesses ?

:^_^

:m

the gears that drive the drive shaft for the sprag clutch also turns the oil pump as well as the alternator   :nod

I'm thinking somewhere along the reassembly something went astray  :bad

beefos

The alternator is turning ok so hopefully the pump is also turning. .....hopefully!!
I took the cam oil feed off and it looks very dry which is concerning.

I'm still wondering what the Triumph mechanic was meaning when he talked about using a bung to get the oil moving?

Timbox2

Dunno if this would do it but after a quick scan through my T300 manual  saw this?

2016 Tiger Sport

beefos

Yes I fitted new o rings

Am I being a wuss and need to run it longer?

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: beefos on August 08, 2016, 09:27:25 PM
Yes I fitted new o rings

Am I being a wuss and need to run it longer?

Nope, somethings amiss in there, bite the bullet and chalk it up to experience.

I wondered what the mechanic was on about too  :icon_scratch: that will work with centrifugal pumps that are struggling with a suction that's not flooded but all it will do with a gear pump is stop the fluid coming through. Sounds like something he read on the web of lies and repeated without understanding the principles involved.

beefos

On the advice of another friend who happens to build sidecars I removed the oil pressure switch, there was no sign of oil so I syringed oil into the switch hole. Then with the switch back in I turned it over without fuel and bingo the light went out. Then fuel on and ran it for a while and the light stayed out.
Maybe the oil I syringed in helped prime the pump?