News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Buying a Steamer - again?

Started by harre, September 05, 2016, 04:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harre

Did something irrational lately. Sold my Steamer 1998 after 10 years of good and not so good service. Thiis summer my Steamer took me 6000 kilometers without a fuzz and with almost no oil consumption and pretty good mileage (0,5 l/10 km) considering full touring kit with aluminium panniers. Of course my butt hurt a bit after riding 900 km in a day, and hands a bit numb. But It worked. It worked really well. Was fun and the Steamer engine pulled forcefully and smoothly. So why sell? I thought I should try something else after so many years, like a BMW R1200GS. Now I'm not so sure. I like to tinker with things and am considering getting a Steamer again. This time I know more what to look for.

I would like to hear from you all which year model I should aim for from a technical viewpoint.
I went through the Sprag troubles with the 98 and had to lift out the engine. Is it better to aim for the early models (1993?) that had the inspection hatch?
I also had water in the fuel after each winter. Is this common or due to bad tank ventilation?
I cleaned the carbs a few times, but the Keihins worked well I think. How are the Mikunis? I have read that the fuel consumption is higher on Mikunis, but maybe that comes with a quicker throttle response? The bottom line is: are Keihins superior?
The tank got bubbles under the paint. I think it come from the ethanol in the fuel these days. Is this common for all Steamers? I repainted, but the bubbles re-appeared after some years.
So any special suggestions before I go hunting?
Steamers rule. :__

Nick Calne

Where will you get it from Harre? How many are there in your area. Could be hard to find another...

They'll always have the problems you describe, plus more.  Unfortunately they don't age like a fine wine!

So I don't know. As much as I love them, when the time comes, is it not the time to move on?

I'm getting emotional at the thought of it all.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

ghulst

Hey, if you make me a decent offer, I have got a great '93 that I am willing to ride to Sweden for you.
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

harre

Quote from: Nick Calne on September 05, 2016, 07:28:18 PM
Where will you get it from Harre? How many are there in your area. Could be hard to find another...

They'll always have the problems you describe, plus more.  Unfortunately they don't age like a fine wine!

So I don't know. As much as I love them, when the time comes, is it not the time to move on?

I'm getting emotional at the thought of it all.

Actually there are some for sale every year in Sweden. Come springtime for sure there will be Steamers for sale.
I don't mind the problems with the Steamers. It's an old motorcycle, but if I get another I want to know if there is a year that stand out. I'm not so sure the Steamers evolved steadily. For example I think some models had drain holes in the legs of the forks making oil changes simple.

I can also see myself on another adventure motorcycle, but I think that the Steamer is underestimated. It needs some refinement though. But that is part of the fun.
I know that I  already miss owning a Steamer. Don't think  would feel the same for, say a Triumph Explorer.

Nick Calne

I know exactly what you mean. None of the newer tigers quite has the same qualities.

I think the best is likely to be the newest given that age is against them now. 98 with low miles!
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

P3aK

Ideal combo would be a 98 with a pre 95 engine with the access hatch for sprag change.
Triumph Tiger 900 -98

harre

Quote from: ghulst on September 05, 2016, 08:04:39 PM
Hey, if you make me a decent offer, I have got a great '93 that I am willing to ride to Sweden for you.

Thanks for the offer :notworthy
I suppose you mean a ride to the Swedish border. It's 1200 km to where I live in the North and I don't think I can afford a delivery to my doorstep (mentally+economically)  :5moped.
But a great '93 sounds interesting, however I was hoping to find a cheap one that I can bring to life and hopefully farkle quite a bit. Please send PM.

threepot

My 96 has the fork drain screw.There is something 'organic' about the early Hinckley bikes? They certainly get 'under' your skin :icon_confused:  I'm quite fond of mine  :thumbsup
95 Super111
96 Tiger

harre

Quote from: P3aK on September 06, 2016, 06:07:23 PM
Ideal combo would be a 98 with a pre 95 engine with the access hatch for sprag change.

I also think that could be a good combo, but what about the forks? I remember reading somewhere that the some earlier forks had drain holes for oil. That would be pretty handy.
So do the access hatch is also found on the 94 models? I thought it was only on the 93's :icon_scratch:
I was happy with the Keihins and fiddled a bit with bigger main jets and needle washers to get a snappier throttle response, but after cleaning the pilot jets I realise that low rev response is largely due to the pilots and the pilot screws.
I have never tried a Mikuni Steamer and wonder how they are. Maybe a bit more grunt? :wheel

Chris Canning

If you are talking 'As well as' then fair enough but if your talking as a main bike then blimey you guys are in a time warp,I'd go ride any modern day traillie/adventure bike of any make or model what ever you want to call them before you do anything because in recent years the game has really moved.

harre

Quote from: Nick Calne on September 06, 2016, 05:53:29 PM
I know exactly what you mean. None of the newer tigers quite has the same qualities.

I think the best is likely to be the newest given that age is against them now. 98 with low miles!

I agree that a low mileage is an advantage but the sprag access hatch on the older Steamers seems like a good idea.   :sign13
I have ridden with friends having the 955i, 800XC and the 1200 Explorer. Sure they are fine, but honestly I don't really want one and it's not (only) about the cost. I think it's mainly about the looks. I could like a Steamer with the 955 engine (sorry but Girlies don't have the right old Dakar look IMHO), but do I really need fuel injection? I think the carbs works fine and I don't know enough about fuel injection. :icon_study:

Chris Canning

And by the same token I wouldn't go back to a bike with carbs on at any price,you can leave the fuel injected bikes as long as you like and they'll still go first press of the button ,the only carbed bike that even came close To how well fuel injection runs is the last of the carbed R6 Yamaha's,like comparing Pony Express to Email :icon_biggrin:

London_Phil

Quote from: Chris Canning on September 06, 2016, 08:42:52 PM
And by the same token I wouldn't go back to a bike with carbs on at any price,you can leave the fuel injected bikes as long as you like and they'll still go first press of the button ,the only carbed bike that even came close To how well fuel injection runs is the last of the carbed R6 Yamaha's,like comparing Pony Express to Email :icon_biggrin:

As I sit here, waiting on Carb parts, I am sadly starting to think that my Carb bike days are numbered.
London is introducing emission tax soon, and if I'm honest, I get so little riding time these days, Spending time with a bike that runs like a dog every time I leave it for a few days, and caused me to miss the World record attempt last week, is becoming less like fun every time.
I just love the Steamer look, but I'm now starting to price check 1050s.
I suppose after 15+ years of Steamer ownership, its not been bad.
When it runs, its happy time, but when the carbs start to play up .......
And the "please don't sprag out on me" feeling every time I thumb the starter.
Think you'd need to be very certain its the right way forward.
If they ever did a FI conversion ( I know there was a prototype one on here a while ago) .
Still not sure If i'd sell her though.
Obviously YMMV

harre

Quote from: Chris Canning on September 06, 2016, 07:08:36 PM
If you are talking 'As well as' then fair enough but if your talking as a main bike then blimey you guys are in a time warp,I'd go ride any modern day traillie/adventure bike of any make or model what ever you want to call them before you do anything because in recent years the game has really moved.

Sure enough. Modern bikes are more technically advanced, but in some respects the Steamer still holds its ground, especially if you put value for money into the equation. Fuel economy is good enough, not far behind an Explorer and actually better than a Tiger 800XC. Engine, suspension and brakes is surely less advanced. I would like to have ABS. But looks? I don't know. Its a matter of personal preferences. I was really into the XTZ 750 Super Tenere some time ago because it is similar to the Steamer and is possibly better engineered. I had one for a year and I liked it but I still chose to keep the Steamer because I think it's a better bike for long distance touring.
But this thread is not about which bike to choose, that's an endless discussion. I would like to discuss which model of Steamer I should look for if I get a second one. I had already a '98 and it was fine, but I don't know if this is the best year. I would prefer to have an access hatch, fork drain holes and possible some other things the earlier models had that I don't know about. I also would like the Öhlins rear shock of course.
I also would like to know if the bubbles under the paint on the tank is common for all Steamers or found specifically on the '98s. It should be common if the plastic tank is incompatible with modern fuels. However It could also be a bad batch from acerbis (I think they made these tanks), or a bad paint job.

harre

Quote from: London_Phil on September 06, 2016, 09:05:01 PM
As I sit here, waiting on Carb parts, I am sadly starting to think that my Carb bike days are numbered.
London is introducing emission tax soon, and if I'm honest, I get so little riding time these days, Spending time with a bike that runs like a dog every time I leave it for a few days, and caused me to miss the World record attempt last week, is becoming less like fun every time.
I just love the Steamer look, but I'm now starting to price check 1050s.
I suppose after 15+ years of Steamer ownership, its not been bad.
When it runs, its happy time, but when the carbs start to play up .......
And the "please don't sprag out on me" feeling every time I thumb the starter.
Think you'd need to be very certain its the right way forward.
If they ever did a FI conversion ( I know there was a prototype one on here a while ago) .
Still not sure If i'd sell her though.
Obviously YMMV

:iagree My Steamer was not so easy to live with, but I also know that had I known more about the carb issues I would have been happier. For quite some time it ran badly. Now I think it was mainly the pilot jets. After I cleaned them the Steamer came back to its former glory.
I used to hate to work on the carbs, but after I cut off one "leg" on the air filter a carb job is muuuch easier (see this thread: http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,15579.msg120097/boardseen.html#new).
I could easily have sold my Steamer after the sprag job, that was not fun at all. I was also worrying a bit about recessing valves.