News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

From Tiger to Triple (Speed, that is...)

Started by ridin gaijin, June 15, 2005, 05:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ridin gaijin

So my Tiger's back in the shop, still overheating, and I got a loaner. It's a Speed Triple! Wow. Completely, totally different...except for the engine sound, at low revs anyhow.

My first thought getting on the Triple was, Christ, it's like a toy. Everything's so small, and with the whole naked thing going, there's hardly anything to look at. No giant cowl, windscreen, and comparatively few instruments. And no enormous huge gigantic gas tank. The riding position is so tucked in, it's just cute.

The position is of course very different. I really miss being up high enough to look out over traffic...now I'm back at everyone else's level, literally. More of my weight went to my wrists and I had to keep reminding myself  to tuck in my back to ease up. The other huge difference, initially, is the weight. The Triple feels like it's about 2/3 the weight of the Tiger--feathery! Easy to park! You can back it up a little hill, even! You can turn it around in your garage in mere seconds!

The engine sounds a lot like the Tiger's--it should, they're the same basic thing (this is an 05 Triple), but as expected it behaves much differently. Low-end torque is present but not as noticeable. Once past 4k or so the thing just wants to rip out from under you, and its light weight invites tossing it around in the curves. I wasn't thrilled with the suspension--felt too hard and like I wasn't getting enough feedback from the tires sometimes--but then again I didn't make any adjustments, so serves me right. I wonder if the Tiger's size and weight make it feel more stable in turns, or if it's just me and getting used to the Triple?--Wouldn't be surprised either way.

Idiiot lights are handled the old fashioned way. No fuel gauge, just a gas light. No temp gauge...just a digital readout. The check engine light and the temp warning light are combined into a single red dot. Engine temp's 206...is that good? Who knows? Some kind of graphic is much handier and requires less processing time to absorb. The speedo's digital too and the biggest thing on the small dash is the tach. And--dammit--the Triple has two trip odometers. Why can't the Tiger?

The bike is incredibly fun. Being used to the Tiger's height, I miss it; and since I wind up riding for hours at a time, as many of us do, I'm not sure I can imagine being scrunched up on the Triple for that long. You'd need the gel seat I guess. Forget it with a pillion though. I'm going to enjoy it while I've got it, but when the Tiger's patched up I won't look back.
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

Brock

The new Speed Triple's an awesome machine, that's for sure. Imagine that engine in an updated Tiger!

But I found it twitchy, with incredibly sensitive fuel injection. On bumpy roads I found I could motor on quicker on the Tiger.

Nice to try summat different eh?
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

zombie

I have the best of both worlds as I own an 01 tiger and an 02 speed triple,

The triple is an absolute blast to ride and the handling is superb and I did a track day on it last week and found myself riding this particular track faster than I ever have before.

The Tiger is still my all round favorite tho for it's all rounder ability and I'm really glad the speed triple isn't my only ride cos if it was I wouldn't have a licence left

Speed3guy

I traded my '98 S3 for my '05 Tiger.  I still miss the Speed 3, but for most riding the Tiger is the better choice.

russ_fae_fyvie

Had a test ride on the new Triple and was amazed, absolutely lovely machine, but skittish over our crappy back roads but wonderful pull from the enginre low down, just can't afford one !!

:(