News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Grip replacement

Started by Vampyre, September 26, 2016, 01:06:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vampyre

I tried to search the answer but was flooded by heated grips questions.
I already have heated grips, a factory ones, so I just need to replace the rubber part and I'm stuck.
Standard grip has a extension of diameter from 25 to 32 mm near controls on both sides. And every grip I found doesn't have it.
Is anyone solved this issue? I really don't like factory grips and I don't want to buy another set from Triumph

885i T709 1999

John Stenhouse

My guess would be that you've taken the grip apart, you're not supposed to be able to take the heated section away from the rubber outer, that's all supposed to be one. That's why the dimensions don't work out.

That's just a guess never done anything to mine, but it seems unlikely they would allow access to the  heated wiring as if you turn that on now I would think you could get a nasty burn from it
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Vampyre

Quote from: John Stenhouse on October 01, 2016, 11:32:40 PM
My guess would be that you've taken the grip apart, you're not supposed to be able to take the heated section away from the rubber outer, that's all supposed to be one. That's why the dimensions don't work out.

That's just a guess never done anything to mine, but it seems unlikely they would allow access to the  heated wiring as if you turn that on now I would think you could get a nasty burn from it
I'm sorry my friend but you're completely wrong. Wires are not in the rubber (like in Oxford heated grips) so there is no problem to take rubbers off (as you can see on pictures). They are just glued on each side. I already did this year ago to repair the wire on the right side (was burned). The problem now is in that original rubbers after almost 60K kms completely worn and they're  VERY slicky.

BTW, I already got a Progrip set so I'll try to put them on, if I not succeed than OK, will order the original ones or apply some rough sandpaper to existing:)
885i T709 1999

Timbox2

Its a few years back but from memory 955 Tiger Heated grips are NLA from Triumph, or one of them is.  I think 1050 Tiger Grips fit but look different(Thinner).
2016 Tiger Sport

Vampyre

Heated -yes, not available.
But rubber grips still there.
885i T709 1999

Vampyre

UPDATE:
Yes, It is possible to apply Progrip grips to the heated grips:) Just used some soap. Only one disadvantage - as they sold by standard set 22/24 the left grip is a little bit short. It would be better to buy 2 sets and use 2 right grips.

885i T709 1999