News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Bike is apart and I'm stuck-steering head removal

Started by benebob, September 26, 2016, 06:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benebob

So today was the day to start the fall service.  New shoes, change the fork oil, sync the throttle bodies and either grease or replace the steering bearings (have a nasty chirp coming from them).  Well I got the forks off, tank off etc and took the top nut off the steering head.  Now I can't seem to figure out how to get it off so I can get at the 38mm bolts.  Didn't get the wrenches as reading said you didn't need 'em if you took the tank off.  It almost seems that there are security bolts holding the ignition switch on but I can't see what type of bolt they are.    Who has done this.  Would like to get it apart today and back together tomorrow so I can bring the TVR back into the garage.  Rain is coming.
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Bixxer Bob

Once the big chrome nut is removed (there's no need to remove the ign lock) just tap it GENTLY upwards till it comes free.  Obviously don't bash it to the point you break the casting, but gentle taps alternately one side then the other should do it.  Use a soft face hammer or a piece of hrd wood as a drift.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

there is a security tab welded to the frame that will only let the top triple clamp come off if you remove the ignition switch .
but the switch is held on by one way security bolts . you have to tighten them till they snap (break) and then replace with new ones .
or.................................
if you rotate the top triple far enuff it will clear the tab so you can lift it off without having to remove the switch :nod

Sin_Tiger

If the bolts securing the ign lock are the same as the Steamer, they will be shear bolts and need to be drilled out when you get the top yoke on the bench.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

benebob

Bixxer gets the win. Just needed quite a bit more force then I was anticipating.  Everything is off and put new bearings in.  The top one seemed a bit "firm" when trying to turn it.  Of course I didn't have enough fork oil so tomorrow I will need to get another liter if I can find Torco, if not I guess I'll just double flush the forks.  The oil was quite nasty considering I replaced it a year and a half ago (about 20k). 
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

benebob

All back together.  Remind me next time not to replace tires and do steering bearings at the same time as it is a bit tough to determine if I'm seated right.  Replaced the plastic vac lines as well.  Started her up and I got a check engine code.  First I've gotten on this Tiger so I figured something wasn't connected.  Shut it down and went to get my computer and Tune ECU cable.  Well it lights up and makes a noise when attached to the computer showing something was added but doesn't "find" the bike.  I haven't used it in years.  Am I doing something wrong?  Does Tune ECU not work right on windows 10?

13 Tiger 800

Bixxer Bob

Tune ECU doesn't work right consistently on anything.   Just give it another go.

Most likely the codes will dissapear after three warm up / cool down cycles so don't rush into anything.

Regarding the removing the top yoke;  after reading Mustang's post I was beginning to think I really was getting senile as I really didn't remember a tag on mine and of course I don't have it to check any more.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...