News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New to Steamers. Having fuel delivery issues at high speeds

Started by KamikazeKunze, October 06, 2016, 08:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KamikazeKunze

Hello all,
I'm new to Triumph. Just scored a '95 Steamer on the western slope of Colorado for $1,000, with 60k miles on it. Shop and owners manuals included.
I LOVE the cat, I do have a few niggles with it that I was hoping you could help me with.
1. When at 80mph for an extended period the bike runs out of fuel. By the time I'm pulled over I see fuel in the line but the carbs are dry'ish. After a 3-5 minute wait it starts and runs great. Was thinking vapor lock, but an old chap told me the fuel line could be old and sucking flat, and shutting the fuel flow off. New fuel filter installed prior to me getting it back to Denver.
2. The suspension feels really soft. My research has showed me that if I upgrade the rear shock (leaking) that it'll make the fronts feel worse. Anyone retrofit more of a motocross set of forks to the old cats?

Other than that mine has been rode hard and put away wet most of her life. Not pretty but I plan on taking it off road more than anything. Trying to get away from the nut cases driving cars on the road.

I don't suppose there is a noob to do list for Steamer owners?

Thanks a lot, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

JayDub

Welcome to the tigers den, The first thing I would check is the mesh filters inside the tank, accessible when you remove the petcock/fuel tap... They are known to collapse so It makes sense to bin them and just have an inline filter - which I think you may already have fitted.  also another tiny filter is fitted inside the bottom of the fuel supply pipe where it joins the T-piece between carbs 2 & 3 - alot of people don't realise its there, so it rarely gets any attention... bin that one too.  Have a look in the stickies here:
http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/board,6.0.html
It should have all the info you need.  :thumbsup

KamikazeKunze

JayDub,

Thanks so much for the info.
I'll dig into that ASAP.

:wings

threepot

I have that problem on my steamer! Switching to reserve solves it :icon_wink: And your a brave man to take it off rd. Dry trail tracks are ok,but...! It's a heavy beast to pick up!!
I've recently fitted a new after market  rear shock on mine,and its totally transformed the bike.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

Just do a full rebuild on the forks, new bushes, seals etc. You could go to progressive springs but that suits road use more than off road. Stock forks will handle the kind of speeds you will ever dare to ride the Steamer off road. Some brave guys have and you can read their exploits if you search.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ssevy

You can get springs more suited for your weight if you don't fall into the standard range, and heavier fork oil helps as well. I had my forks rebuilt with new seals, springs and heavier weight oil, and it made a huge difference. I also had them try to install the Ricor Intiminators which I installed myself in my Legend forks, but the extra fork travel of our Tiger creates too much cavitation and they don't work well in our application. Just wanted to mention that in case you were considering that option.

I did a drop in slow motion this June trying to get from a soft dirt surface up onto the blacktop on a very steep uphill. Once the big girl started to go down, I though it prudent to be a gentleman and step out of her way :icon_wink:
Thankfully, I have engine bars on it, and two buddies were with me to help me get her up and out of there. Didn't leave so much as a mark on her, but I was ready for a nap by the time we hauled her up and out. Best not to underestimate her mass if you are undertaking any roads or paths that may tempt her to take a nap on you :nap
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Nick Calne

Hello

Noob list in the stickies and elsewhere. But in summary, filters as described above, PVL / nology coils, new rubbing strips, drop the forks 10mm through the yolks, then it's just service items and maintenance normally.

The bike is vulnerable to gunking up if you leave it stood for a while, so ride it lots or prepare to buy seafoam.

A good battery makes a lot of difference, as do fresh tyres.

Check your swingarm for cracks around the clamps.

Check that one of the snorkels has a cap.

Advanced level - sprocket cover and airbox can be split to make servicing easier. LED lights make the idiot lights actually visible in use.

Off road forks have been done with one guy grafting a ktm 640 front end on to a steamer. Search for 'patrick' and you'll find it.  I have often thought about this and have always wondered if you'd end up with insufficient braking and suspension for road use, which ultimately is more important than off road perfection.  It would be an interesting experiment to use a front end off a ktm 990.  You can go off road on a steamer but it is mud where it struggles imo. You lose the front end and suddenly it is big, heavy and you can't save it easily. On dry stuff it is fine providing it is not too rutted. I ride mine on Salisbury Plain when it is dry - lots of rough, wide gravelly tracks and it is fine in the summer. Once it rains in Autumn I don't go there.  As the guys mention if it is going down, then it is going down and you will not be able to pull it back up without risking injury.  Lifting it from the ground is ok when it's flat and dry. If it is muddy or your in a hollow or something then it can be a two man job.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

JayDub

Quote from: threepot on October 09, 2016, 12:28:26 AM
I have that problem on my steamer! Switching to reserve solves it :icon
that would indicate a  blocked/collapsed filter too Mark  :nod

threepot

Quote from: JayDub on October 09, 2016, 11:03:12 AM
that would indicate a  blocked/collapsed filter too Mark  :nod
Yes,I've suffered it for 4yrs lol! It only happens now and again. I MUST get a new tap!! One of those Yamy ones?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

Sin_Tiger

If the tap doesn't leak and is clear when open,  personally I'd be inclined to ditch the original strainers and filter in favour of an external filter which is visible and easy to change but that's no secret  :augie
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

KamikazeKunze

Quote from: threepot on October 09, 2016, 12:28:26 AM
I have that problem on my steamer! Switching to reserve solves it :icon_wink: And your a brave man to take it off rd. Dry trail tracks are ok,but...! It's a heavy beast to pick up!!
I've recently fitted a new after market  rear shock on mine,and its totally transformed the bike.

Weird as I was told by the previous owner that on reserve was the only way the bike ran. I just eBay'd another pet dock as mine dribbles when I turn it or touch it for that matter.
Yes, I'll start slow on the off-road portion. I'm already doing strength training through the winter. 😉
Thanks

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

ssevy

Quote from: threepot on October 11, 2016, 12:20:59 AM
'dribbles'...when you touch it??!! : :icon_eek:
Sounds like the sailor, who when approached by a hooker and asked if he "wanted his watch wound", replied that he'd already had it wound in his last port of call, and it had been "running ever since" :icon_wink:
I may not be big, but I'm slow.